Wednesday, February 20, 2008

WFMW - Shopping without Bags

Hello and welcome to this installment of Works for me Wednesday. Once you have read my fabulous idea, go check out the other equally fabulous ideas at Rocks in my Dryer. I go shopping every day. I know I know, who wants to do that every day. Lets not get into that right now LOL What works for me is my "bucket."

For years and years I have been given those plastic grocery sacks at the grocery store. I get them home and they seem to consume one corner of my house. When my husband and I moved to a condo and had to lug everything from the garage to the 5th floor, I started using what I call a "bucket" to haul everything and anything from the car to house and the house to the car. It is like a milk crate with wheels and a handle.
One day I decided to take my bucket with me to the store. I'd shop as usual and take my cart with my groceries to the car, unload all of the bags into my bucket, find a place to put the cart and drive home. One day I decided to take my bucket into the store with me!!!

Oh and the heavens parted. I could load up my bucket (and not have to touch another grocery cart again) and I could unload it onto the conveyor belt and ask the bag boy, girl, person to just load up my cart again.

Then I wheel it out to the car, lift it into the back. take it out when I get home and no bags.

I have to admit, I don't have children, I don't own a dog, so I don't have 50# bags of dog food to lug home. If I need to buy one of the giant paper towel containers or whatever they are called... maybe they are a "bunch" of paper towels, well anyway...I just get it last and set it on top.

This really works for me. I love it.
Have a Great Day!
Kristin

6 comments:

Melissa Markham said...

I can see where this would be a great idea if you didn't buy a lot. We go to the grocery store once a week and come home with several plastic bags. I am looking into collecting the cloth bags and take my own bags shopping, but I am wondering how stores react to that.

Ann said...

We have a collapsible box like that to bring to the store, as well as several reusable bags. Ours doesn't have wheels, though, and gets heavy if there are canned goods/flour/milk/juice/etc in it. Now I just need to remember to bring them in!

Nikki said...

How very fun! Our commissary on our base here just started selling cloth bags for 70 cents a piece. I feel very green and frugal now that I've purchased 6 of them. I have four kids-- so I don't think the bucket would be big enough for our needs. But I am more than thrilled to pass this tip on to others. Thanks!

ttelroc said...

I shopped for Thanksgiving with my little bucket - It is truly amazing what can fit in there...but I do have to agree, if you only shop weekly or for more than two, it might be more difficult to use just the bucket.

Melissa, A lot of stores are encouraging bringing your own bags to use - a lot of them sell them, too.

I take my bucket everywhere - It is true dorkiness sometimes, but I take it to flea markets, housewares shops, the doctors office, anywhere where I would be holding something in my arms if I didn't have the bucket.

Ann - oh goodness, you must get one of those boxes with wheels on it.

Nikki - get each of your kids a rolling bucket!

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Kristin

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the visit and the comment!

I'm so jealous of the bucket! My son and I play the "how much do you think it is this time?" game when we check out a the grocery store and let's just say - the bucket is too teeny for us.

I actually reuse the plastic bags for many different things: packing materials (I ebay), lunches for my son (he has lost 3 lunchboxes this year, and I'm not buying another one), garbage bags for the car (we hang them on the arm rests), disposing of scooped cat litter, paint tray liners . . . the list goes on.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

That is shear brilliance! Truly. I humbly bow to you and your bucket.