Monday, March 17, 2008

St. Patty's Day


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

When I was a kid, the thing that made St. Patty's day different than any other was that I was supposed to wear green that day. I think I forgot nearly every year to specifically wear something green to school. Most of the time I managed to have on green socks or something that had a tiny green stripe or something. And who came up with this ridiculous "custom" to pinch someone if they didn't wear green on St. Patrick's Day?

When I was a teenager I became aware of some friends of my family who threw a huge St. Patrick's Day party. They used to hold it in their warehouse/office - it was crazy! Hundreds of people came to this event. Literally we were packed into the place like sardines, or maybe sardines had more room! The place was packed and the food and beer flowed until the middle of the night. Those were the days. Now this family rents out a hall and sells tickets to get in. They donate the money they raise, so that is a nice side benefit. My Dad serves up food there most every year and when I was in town, I would almost certainly come by and spend some time with everyone.

I've had a few St. Patricks Day drinking tales that I'll just keep to myself, however these days about all I do for St. Patrick's Day is to wear green - usually my Michigan State University shirt, because now that I'm older I remember to wear green. I don't think anyone would dare pinch me if I didn't, but now that I can remember it doesn't much matter. ha ha

Happy St. Patty's Day to you all. Be safe and please don't drink and drive.

Kristin
*The picture is a close up of the door detail to the oldest house in St. Augustine, FL.

No comments: