Wednesday, June 17, 2009

OMGoodness I did it.



Hey folks!

I got a camera.

A real one.

I got an all new Nikon D90


with a lens
and a bag
and instruction books
and a camera strap (that goes around my neck!)

I've only ever had the wrist strap before...
because I only ever had a camera that weighed 4 oz!

I'm expecting greatness.


I'm also hoping that my learning curve will be quite short. I may need to actually get a job to pay for this thing. (maybe I should try some sort of photography gig!)

I've had a 5 year old point and shoot, tiny scratched screen, reliable camera all this time. I've actually been coming up with some pretty good shots lately and have been thinking that maybe I should work on making this more than just a way to put photos on my blog :) I thought about buying a new camera before we went to Ireland, but decided that I didn't want to miss Ireland because I was worrying about how to use my camera. So I waited.

I'm waiting for the camera battery to charge, then I'm going to wander around the house and outside our condo building and pretend I know what I'm doing. The place where I purchased the camera has free classes with the purchase of the camera, so I'm signed up.

I'm on page 10 of the booklet that came with the camera.

I first started reading the Spanish version and was immediately confused.
I found the English Language booklet was much easier to read.

I've already attached the camera strap improperly.

About that learning curve...

I'll let you know when I post my first grown up photo :)

Have a great day!
Kristin

6 comments:

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I took a photography class at a community college. The professor was a professional photographer. The best advice he gave us when shooting photos for assignments was to take a lot of pictures and then take some more. Maybe there will be a good one out of the bunch.

Marchelle said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! So what lens did you get?! I'm excited to watch you grow with it!!

Kristin - The Goat said...

Condo Blues - I'm of the theory of more is better :) On my point and shoot I could never see the photo on the view screen (like the way it used to be with a 35mm film camera) so it was always fun to load the pictures on the computer to see if I got anything.

Marchelle - I got the kit - the camera came with an 18 - 105 mm f/3.5 - 5.6G ED VR I have no idea what any of that means. LOL

Thanks Marchelle. After you answered my questions the other day I decided to go out and get the Nikon. You had one, PW had one, someone else I knew had one - so I just decided to do it.

Keetha Broyles said...

Can't wait to see the first photos - - - then tell me how hard it was to learn how to use it, please!!

Robin said...

Very nice.....

I am horrible at photography. I hope to one day take a class.

Have a beautiful day

Genny said...

This is really ironic...I was JUST thinking I needed a new camera. I have a nice digital one, but it's nothing like the one you got. I'm anxious to hear how you like it!

Glad to be back,
Genny