Wednesday, December 16, 2009

BBQ Meatloaf



This is a meatloaf recipe that I got for free from Leanne of Saving Dinner.  It's called BBQ Confetti Meatloaf, but I've changed it a little bit and shortened the name to just BBQ Meatloaf.


Here are the cast of characters I have used for this particular meatloaf.  Meatloaf mix with 1/3 pork, onions, mushrooms, corn, eggs, bread, Sonny's BBQ sauce, chili powder and a little bit of salt and pepper. Because I took the time to set up the scene above, I brought out the sheet pan and covered it with my aluminum foil before I got my hands all messy.  Usually I'm just ready to put the meatloaf mixture somewhere and realize that I still have to prepare the pan.

I drop the hamburger and pork by small amounts at a time into a large bowl.  Just to make mixing easier in the end.  Then I roughly chop an onion. This onion was really big, so I only used half of it.  Roughly chopped to me is about nickel sized pieces.  Drain the corn.  Drain the mushrooms and squeeze out as much water as you can.  Then chop the 'shrooms in half or so.



Add in the chili powder, salt and pepper.  Here's where I have to admit...I didn't add a single bit of pepper.  Not even the "fool myself" white pepper. The last few times I've made meatloaf I added in too much white pepper and had a hard time enjoying the meatloaf.

Add in the bread cubes, the slightly beaten eggs and the BBQ sauce.  I usually use a parchment covered sheet pan, but I used up all of my parchment the day before, so I used some of my non stick aluminum foil instead.  It worked real well, too.



This isn't the most lovely looking photo but it's the truth :)  After mixing all the ingredients together, I scoop up large handfuls of meatloaf and place them in the center of the baking sheet. Usually four mounds is what I get, then I pat them all together to make a more uniform loaf shape.  Then I put it in the 350º oven for about 40 minutes. 


At 40 minutes I take out the meatloaf and brush on a thin coat of BBQ sauce on the top and check the temperature.  I cook mine to 165º but usually haul it out of the oven at 160º if I catch it in time.  I like this "slab" method of cooking meatloaf because it's much easier to cut and serve and the fats just go off to the side and I haven't had a dry meatloaf yet. 




The original recipe calls for red peppers, I've substituted pimentos, but didn't have any in the cupboard - so it's not as colorful as it should be.  However, it was and is absolutely delicious.

The way I like meatloaf best is on my salad.  I took a photo of my meatloaf salad but it was awful looking!  None of it was in focus.  But I can tell you what I did.

I usually have a salad in the fridge that I pull out for this.  My salad is butter lettuce and romaine lettuce, green onions, celery, garlic and onion spices.  I then shred a little cheddar cheese on top of the salad and put the meatloaf on top of that.  The meatloaf melts the cheese a little and wilts the lettuce just a little.  It's one of my favorite meals. 



BBQ Meatloaf
adapted from Leanne's Saving Dinner recipe.

1# lean ground beef
1t chili powder
S/P to taste
4 oz corn kernels drained
4 oz canned mushrooms drained and chopped
1 med onion chopped
1/4 cup red pepper chopped (or small jar of pimentos)
2 - 3 slices soft bread cubed
2 eggs slightly beaten
1/3 cup BBQ sauce

Preheat oven to 350º
Combine all ingredients.  I mix it by hand until everything is just barely combined.    You can bake this meatloaf in a muffin pan for individual freezer friendly sizes, in a loaf pan or in a log on a sheet pan. 
10 - 20 minutes before cooking time is up, take meatloaf out of the oven, brush with BBQ sauce and check temperature.  Bake for about one hour or until desired temperature is reached. Muffin sized portions will cook much faster.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy K .. I like doing my meatloaf in a slab for the same reason - I've made all sorts of different ML recipes and plan to make this one, AND, put it on salad - so original - that would be a good recipe for one of those highway trucker diners - YES, i think you should market it to them.

Nancy C said...

Looks pretty and delicious.

Claudya Martinez said...

Looks good enough to eat!