Tuesday, April 06, 2010

POTD - Bowties

POTD - Bowties in the Sky

Every time I drive across this bridge I think it should be nicknamed "Bowties in the Sky" because of the design of the harps on the two towers.  We in Jacksonville call this bridge the Dames Point Bridge, but it's true official name is the Napoleon Bonaparte Broward Bridge.  One website that I found (here) explains that there is a park where you can get some exceptional views of the bridge.  The website hasn't been updated in years, but I'll have to go check it out, as this is one of my favorite Jacksonville bridges.

The Dames Point Bridge uses a cable-stayed bridge configuration and was the longest of it's type at the end of the 1990's but looks like now the longest bridge is the Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge in Charleston, South Carolina built in 2005.

Enjoy!
Kristin

2 comments:

j said...

That's quite a dapper bridge :)

Caution/Lisa said...

I'll admit that it took my a minute to find the bow ties. I was looking at the openings. That misplaced look is so indicative of so many things in my life!