Wednesday, May 14, 2008

WFMW - Remembering Passwords

Welcome to another edition of Works For Me Wednesday! Each week hundreds of people from around the world gather at Rocks in My Dryer for WFMW and share their tips. Please take a look when you have finished here. Thanks & I'll see you again next week.

This is one of my favorite "inventions" - I'm sure that someone else thought of it, posted a note on their blog about it and I read about it - but I woke up one morning and I thought --

Self! Why don't you put all of your websites and passwords into a book!! How about you put it into an Address Book! You have several very nice address books that have nothing in them - lets find one and put it to good use!


So I did.

I first made up a little secret code for my passwords. I have to admit, I only have three different passwords. So I named them P1, P2 and P3 -- I know what these mean. You should come up with your own secret code for your passwords so that you can remember it.




















This is how I used my password book.

Under the P tab of the Address book I have

1st line --- www.photobucket.com (I alphabetize by name of the website)
2nd line --- the email address I used when I signed up
3rd line -- the password or the secret code to the password
4th line -- anything else that might be important to that site. secret questions, secret answers, telephone number you used, etc.

I have 4 different accounts with Photobucket, so the address book has come in VERY handy when I can't remember what email went with which account.


This book has come in handy when I travel or when I am using a computer that isn't my own. I rely on my list of "favorites" on my own computer and have trouble remembering my favorite sites if I can't just use my bookmarks.


Even if I don't have to have a password or login name, I still write down websites - like Rocks in my Dryer, for instance, just so I have a record of sites I like.

I hope you found this to be helpful. I look forward to reading your tips!

Have a great day!
Kristin

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I NEED to do this - I do digital scrapbooking, and there are so many stores, and I have variations of my username. I always struggle to get the correct combination.

Thanks for a great solution.

Mom2fur said...

This is just brilliant! I'm always seeing cute address books but don't really use them for that purpose. Now I have an excuse to get one, LOL! Believe me, at 52 my mind is starting to go slowly but surely--and help I can get in the remembering department is great!

girlmomx3 said...

Great idea! I only use a couple of passwords--shh don't tell the hackers, but the emails/usernames can be problematic! Way to go! You get the smart cookie award.

Blessings,
Jane

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Oh, I definitely need to do this. And like one of your earlier commenters, I'd love an excuse to buy a cute address book!

Thanks for the great idea.

LLG Denise said...

caution not to put secure info in here. If this is lost or stolen, could be a problem. I like the idea for all the scrapbooking sites, though. Thanks, Kristin!

Laurie said...

I like the address book idea!

Another password technique is to choose one master password - let's say "mickey06". Then for each site you add additional characters, which you write down, but only represent your master pwd with a single digit - say "X". So you record the pwd as Xlmpq but the full pwd is mickey06lmpq.