Sunday, January 28, 2018

Bacon and Green Onion Pasta Salad


We've been making this pasta salad for a few years now and it's absolutely delicious.  In the original recipe it calls for a dozen slices of bacon.  I commented on the blog post to see if it was a mistake, as I couldn't imagine anything needing 12 slices of bacon but I was assured that it was not a mistake.  Steve and I use thick sliced Wright Brand Bacon and I know I haven't used a dozen slices, but I bet I've used 9, because that's what my tray holds.  OK Maybe only 8 slices makes it into the pasta, I'm sure we sample a piece.

Eating has become a chore of late, for me anyway, because I have discovered that I am extremely sensitive to MSG and its counterpart Free Glutamic Acid.  I will be talking more about it in future blog posts, but for now I'm putting it out there -- this dinner, however, is nearly perfect.  We added some crunchy veggies on the side, extra cucumbers, some sweet peppers and fancy tomatoes. The pasta has balsamic vinegar in it and can be a trigger for some people as it's fermented, but so far I haven't had any problems with it, except when it's been heated.  So if you have a sensitivity, do not mix the vinegar into the hot pasta -- let the pasta cool first.



Bacon and Green Onion Pasta Salad
adapted from Erren's Kitchen original recipe


  • 9 strips applewood smoked bacon, thick sliced, cooked and chopped
  • 1-16oz box Cavatappi pasta, cooked and drained
  • 3-5 green onions, sliced into rounds
  • 1 cup chopped cucumber
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard 
  • 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise plus more to taste, if necessary
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper, if desired


In a large bowl combine the bacon, pasta, green onions and cucumber.  In a small bowl whisk together the dressing - mustard, balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and pepper.  Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine.  Cool in the refrigerator a few hours before serving.   Store in the fridge, covered for up to three days. 

Have a great day!
Kristin

No comments: