Monday, November 05, 2018

Hungarian Potato Soup

Hungarian Potato Soup


This potato soup recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember.  I know that my Mom added the cauliflower to the soup, probably to make it a bit more healthy.  It may make it healthier but it gives the soup a great crunch.  I love it.  My husband wasn't too thrilled about having cauliflower in the soup, but he loved it too.  The soup doesn't taste like cauliflower, I promise.


 Here are most of the ingredients that you need for making the soup.  My goal in making food is to use ingredients that have as few additives as possible.  This is so I can minimize the free glutimate acid and MSG that is found in so many prepared or manufactured products.

The Daisy sour cream is made with one ingredient - cultured cream.  Compare that list to others and you will see a huge difference.  Fairlife 2% Milk also has very few ingredients and no thickeners.  Tabasco Sauce is made with peppers, vinegar and salt.
For having several manufactured products, it's a great soup for me.

The onions are being cooked in butter

This soup is as pure as it can be and still be more than just potatoes and water!   The photo below is the mixture of sour cream, paprika, salt, and flour.  I added the Tabasco in there as well because I knew I was going put it in and I wanted it to cook in a bit.  You can add it later or not at all, it's totally up to you.

Sour cream and the spices

I used flour in today's soup but when I take it to potluck, I always make it with corn starch to make it gluten free for those that may have a gluten sensitivity or Celiac disease.

This soup cooks up pretty quickly, doesn't need to simmer for very long at all before it's ready to eat.  It's just as good the day it's made as it is the next!



Hungarian Potato Soup
½ c onion
2 T butter
4 med potatoes, diced
½ t salt
1c water
¼c flour
1½ t paprika
1c sour cream
2½c milk
½ head of cauliflower, chunked into bite sized pieces
Add Tabasco and garlic powder as needed

Cook onion in butter until tender - add potatoes, salt and the water.
Cover and cook 15 minutes or until tender.
Blend four, paprika and sour cream until smooth.
Stir into potato mixture.
Add cauliflower and milk.
Heat to boiling while stirring.
Let simmer until cauliflower is tender.
Taste and add Tabasco sauce and garlic powder as needed.
Serve hot with a sprinkle of paprika on the top of the soup as garnish.

ENJOY!

Have a great day!
Kristin

1 comment:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing.