Monday, February 12, 2018

Shredded Chicken

Photo by Hello I'm Nik on Unsplash

Do you cook and freeze chicken in batches?  I do.  Those buy one get one deals that come around every so often are just too good to pass up. Anyway, I cook up about 6 - 12 chicken breasts in my pressure cooker and then I usually shred all of it.  Most of the time I buy chicken breasts with skin on and ribs because the meat is so much more flavorful when cooked altogether.  The stock is real good, too.  I keep that, freeze it in ice cube trays and use later.



Shredding chicken is one of my least favorite tasks.  It takes forever, even when it's hot as heck just out of the pot, and my poor hands are so sore after shredding half a dozen chicken breasts.  I usually clear off a spot at the dining room table and set up a little shredding station so that my back doesn't hurt from standing, hunched over the counter.

I've seen on Pinterest that by using an electric hand mixer, a couple chicken breasts can be shredded in seconds.  If you know me, you know that I probably have no idea where my hand mixer is and that I like to do things the hard way.  I wash all my dishes by hand, for crying out loud, when I have a perfectly good dishwasher just sitting there in the kitchen.

Well, over the holidays I had my electric hand mixer out from the dungeon and I had a dozen chicken breasts that I needed to shred.  I was exhausted and just wanted to be done with the day.  So what a better time to try out the too-good-to-be-true Pinterest story that says chicken can be shredded in seconds.  Oh my goodness!  It was crazy wonderful!




The photo above is 6 chicken breasts and it took me approximately 30 seconds to shred all of them, at the same time.  The chicken was cooled, not cold.  The beaters on the mixer were hardly even messy.  It took me just a few moments to wash them.  All of the things that I thought would make getting out the electric mixer a hassle was erased when the task was finished. No mess, fast clean up, and 30 seconds to shredded chicken!

I honestly can't believe I waited so long to try out such an easy shortcut.  Now that you know, don't you wait so long to try it out. If I only had ONE chicken breast to shred, I would get out the electric hand mixer.  It is seriously that wonderful.

Shredded chicken is so good in Mexican Chicken and Chicken Salad.  I have written a blog post about each of them.  I make chicken salad as often as I can, so I keep plenty of shredded chicken in the freezer.

Enjoy!

Have a great day!
Kristin

3 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Way to go Kristen! I've always used 2 forks. Great idea....

Kristin - The Goat said...

You will forget all about those forks as soon as you try the mixer! You'll want to find more things to shred. Ha!

Sonia said...

Love this post!