Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Chicken Salad

A few years ago I was introduced to some really good Chicken Salad.


I know that doesn't seem like a Aha Moment or anything, but I had avoided the stuff like the plague for years.  It seemed like every time I tried chicken salad it was just not yummy.




Then a few years ago I bought a ton of chicken because it was on sale, cooked it up and all of a sudden, my husband was making chicken salad.

He'd never asked for chicken salad before, never even hinted that he liked it, let alone that he knew how to make it.  He made a really great batch that day and I've been learning how to do the same.

A week ago my Photo of the Day (POTD) was Rabbit Food and it was a photo of some chicken salad that I was served at a friend's house.  It was so good that I had to recreate it.

My sister isn't a fan of fruit and meat together and funny enough, I have sort of adopted that same attitude.  Funnier still, it never occurred to me that the chicken salad I was served had both fruit and meat!

I gobbled it up.

Maybe I do like fruit and meat mixed together!


I have found that if I like something that I was served, that doesn't always mean that when I make it, I like it.  This particular chicken salad didn't fit into that category either.  I made it, I loved it, I ate it all.  I didn't even give Tom a chance to taste it!



What I really liked about this recipe is that all of the ingredients are chunky.  The grapes are just cut in half (and they are large grapes), the pecans are not chopped, the celery was in nice big pieces and the apples are fairly large, too.  To those ingredients you just add shredded chicken, mayo and some salt.


Chicken Salad

chicken breast, shredded or chopped

red seedless grapes, sliced in half
celery, chopped
apple - coarsely chopped (I used Gala)
pecan halves
Hellmans Real Mayo
salt
mix well, serve or chill and serve.





This photo is of the "inspiration" salad, but when I made mine and photographed it, it looked just like this! (however, this was a much better photo)

I also make a mean Turkey Salad. I think I discovered Chicken Salad and Turkey Salad at about the same time.

heaven
I'm in heaven

Enjoy!
Kristin

5 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

Yum----set me a place at your table, please.

Keetha Broyles said...

Yum yum, I'm on my way over for a sandwich! Oh, and I see Ann will be joining us too!!!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I'm making some more in just a few minutes - can you both be here by noon? :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It sounds very good. You make the best salads. It reminds me of a Waldorf salad with chicken and I love Waldorf salad.

Rachael said...

Other than the celery, my mouth is watering! I think I might need to try this.