Sunday, November 07, 2010

Built in 1870


I often drive around and take photos of houses.

Saturdays seem to be the day that I do this and this Saturday was no exception.

The character of the house, the landscape, the trees and the street just intrigue me.  I often wonder the history of houses and make up my own stories.

This house conveniently had its history written on a plaque for all to read.

I wondered why this house was sideways and the plaque explains why.



The sign says...
Cheney/Cummer/Schneider House
2959 Riverside Ave

Built in 1870 for Edward M. Cheney, editor and publisher of the Florida Times Union, it occupied a site near the present-day Cummer Gallery of Art.  Lumberman Wellington W Cummer built a large house adjacent to the Cheney property in 1898, at which time his son, Waldo, took over this old house.  In 1908 Waldo Cummer barged the house down the river to Willow Branch Creek, then hauled it up to its new site where it sits today.  It was too wide to fit properly on the new site, so it was turned sideways.  Cummer made the remark: "It is so far out in the country, no one will ever notice!"  Attorney Tom Purcell purchased the house in 1979 and completed renovations to meet city code.  In 1999 Dr. Howard Schneider brought his new bride, the former Deborah Dale Rones, to Jacksonville from Charleston, S.C.  Being an interior designer in her own right, she said she would only live in the Avondale area.  When she was shown the home for the first time, it is said that she dropped to her knees and remarked: "This will be my house."  Howard, with his artistic and woodcraft expertise, and Deborah, with her creativity and experience in interior deisgn, restored the house to the European country setting as it stands today.  Thus as the 21st century was born, the Cheney-Cummer-Shneider House enjoys new life for the next 100 years.

"Happy Birthday to my wife on this date, Mary 28, 2002"





Unknown Mami


For more Sundays in My City please visit Unknown Mami.  She has a great group of folks that show off their towns around the world.  Thanks, Mami!

Have a great day!
Kristin

10 comments:

Joanne Olivieri said...

First, it' a beautiful house and I like the explanation. If it doesn't fit one way, turn it around. Tht's pretty clever. Great shots. I too like taking shots of homes and buildings. I think they all have great stories to tell.

Coby said...

Way too cool! I love old houses - like you said, I wonder at their histories, who lived there, and what stories they could tell!

Ann in the UP said...

Can you imagine barging a house down a river?????

Somebody could have written a book just about that part of the Cheney House saga!!!

Sonya said...

Wow thats one beautiful house and love the explanation!

Claudya Martinez said...

I certainly wouldn't mind living there.

BLOGitse said...

I'd love to live in a house like that too!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a interesting and sweet story.
Can't believe that they moved it!
Thank you for sharing this house with me.

Erin said...

I love houses with a history like that! So beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Great photo of a house with such an interesting history. I could easily imagine living there!

Keetha Broyles said...

What a gorgeous, gorgeous house!

But, I'm still more than content with my tiny little duplex, especially since it has a FOOTBALL CAVE.