Monday, November 15, 2010

Week One, Lesson One



Today is the very first day of my photography class online.

The first thing that I realized was that I needed a different lens for the class. The directions said that I needed a fixed aperture lens, but I sort of glossed over that part since I didn't know what that meant.

I'm really good at glossing over things.

Not sure when I need the lens so I ran over to the local photo store and bought the lens...$150.




When I got home there was a package at the door and it was the grey cards that I ordered last week, for week two of the class.  Turns out I misread that part, too!  I needed two different grey cards and I only ordered one.  sheesh.  Let's hope I can get the other one ordered.


I just read over the first assignment.

I'm terrified.


It's explained that I need to set my metering to a specific setting.

There's a diagram for my type of camera.

I can't figure it out.



There's a diagram for crying out loud and I still can't figure it out.

I've looked, adjusted, scrolled, Googled, looked through my camera manual, everything I can think of.

Several times tears welled up in my eyes.

This is how it always ends.

I get so frustrated that something so minor derails me.

I quit because I can't get passed something.

This is why I decided to take the class so that no matter what, I would have to continue.



I'm going to have to break down and say the words I loath to say.

"I can't seem to find it on my camera.  Could someone help me please?"

It's like when someone explains, for example, "This towel will soak up water from your body after a shower, after you go swimming, after getting out of a hot tub or even if you just went swimming in a lake."

Then someone asks, "My lake is bigger than the lake you showed.  Will the towel work for my lake?"

or someone else says, "What about the ocean?  Will it soak up ocean water?"




It makes me just want to go screaming into the night.

I don't want to ask that question!

Ugh.

There's no such thing as a dumb question.

OK.

I won't let the first day get me down.

Deep Breath

Deep Breath

Deep Breath


Have a great day!
Kristin


**The photos above are all the Riverside area from one of my neighborhood walks a few weeks ago.

UPDATE (Tuesday 16 Nov)  I figured it out!  I figured it out!  I can't even begin to explain how I got there - it's a combination of about a dozen things - but I got it.  I haven't gotten a decent photo yet, but I figured out the metering!

9 comments:

LAC said...

Don't get discouraged. I know you can do it. Go back to the camera store and ask them. Or ask on FB. Or even in the CM forums. I'd love to help, but I am not a Nikon girl. :(

Ann in the UP said...

Hang in there, sweetie. Somebody will be happy to help you.

I know just how you feel, because I always have to get over feeling like a beginner when I start something new. Allow yourself to start from square one. We're all rooting for you!!!

Keetha Broyles said...

I think you are too hard on yourself.

What's the worst thing that can happen? Someone laughs? You miss an assignment? You don't have all the right equipment?

Even if ALL of the above happen, you my dear, are STILL taking awesome pictures.

Besides - - - I don't think ANY of that will really happen.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm glad I didn't sign up for it, I hate being so lost. Wishing you great success. Just ask the questions! The pictures you posted are beautiful. Just Breathe!!!!

42N said...

I took photography in college and to this day it was the best thing for understanding all the manual parts of photography (and printing.) Hang in there - you will have a light go off over your head and it will all make sense.

Kristin - The Goat said...

Lisa - I didn't think about going back to the camera store. Excellent! Thank you.

Ann - I seriously need hand holding sometimes - I'm needing the steps to get to square one LOL

Keetha - The worst part is that I get so upset, then I start to tear up (or just burst into tears) and then I'm not capable of figuring it out because I'm upset. I blame it on undiagnosed dyslexia that I'm so easily confused.

Debby - it's not that hard! I'm just stuck on one little sentence.

42N - I took two years of algebra before that light went off. It was one of the best days ever. I'm looking forward to the ISO, F stop, lightbulb going off :)


Thanks everyone for talking me through my mini meltdown. It felt really good getting it off my chest. That's what blogs are for, right?!!

Kristin - The Goat :)

Joanna Jenkins said...

And that would be why I have a simple point and shoot camera :-)
But press on! I'm sure you'll get it all figured out. Plus, you've got some really get photos here already!
Hang in there, jj

jb said...

I LOVE the blue shingled house with a stain glass window...look at all of the talking chairs! I want to order a big big BIG metallic print of that shot!
I mean it!
Don't stress over your sentence or camera or class...you are simply amazing, so just feel the love, breathe...and have fun!
<3 Bob

Joye Hampton said...

have you heard about the walking tour podcast for Riverside/Avondale?