Sunday, March 27, 2011

POTD - Cooling Towers


POTD - Cooling Towers
©2011 Kristin Corlett

I have always wanted to get good photos of the cooling towers in Jacksonville, FL.  They are the iconic shape of the towers associated with US nuclear power plants, but these are not nuclear.  It's all part of the JEA (Jacksonville Electric Authority) power plant that uses gas and coal.  Now I have to admit, I thought it was nuclear plant because of those towers.  I didn't realize that it was a common shape to use for cooling.  I got a closer shot but I really liked this view of the towers with the marshland in the foreground.

Enjoy!
Kristin

4 comments:

BLOGitse said...

It would be great to have better choices for nuclear...

Thanks for letting me know about the link problem!
Have a good week ahead!

42N said...

There has been talk of using the simple cooling tower concepts near cities that experience chronic smog. The towers would help create air circulation and scrub the smog elements.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I was just asking my husband about that when we were in Carlsbad on Sunday. There is an electrical plant right near the ocean but he assured me it wasn't nuclear.

LAC said...

That is a very common site for me as well. We live one town over from a Nuclear power plant in Berwick, PA. I often see those billows of smoke from as far away as the town I work in. Almost an ignorable backdrop of our lives. But growing up I had an irrational fear of them exploding and being separated from my friends and family.