Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Turned bowls

Remember the other day when I mentioned that I saw some incredible bowls? 
It was the home where they had the Bobcat that I featured on Sunday.


Below are just a few of the beautiful bowls that dotted their home.


I had never heard of the phrase "turned bowls."  I have heard of turned legs or turned spindles, but never thought of it when it came to a bowl.  It makes sense now that I look at these bowls,  but I can't visualize how they can be turned.  How does the inside get turned? 


I was just so enamored with the beautiful bowls and vessels and the stories of the wood and the other incredible objects in their beautiful home.  I never did ask how the bowls were made.   This vessel above was made as a pet funerary urn. 



I topper on the urn actually screws into the urn.  Gosh, I just loved the detail in the leaves (one on each side). 


The whole house was decorated in old Florida style with beautiful palm tree pictures, palm frond hats,  green Roseville pottery and wooden bowls.  I wanted to photograph every little thing! 



I couldn't stop looking at this bowl, touching it, admiring it.  It's from a Norfolk Pine and that splotch at the bottom of the bowl is the very heart of the tree.  The knots that circle the bowl are the branches that come out of the tree.  The Norfolk Pine produces it's branches symmetrically along the trunk.

Photo from source

This is a photo of a Norfolk Pine. 
Now can you image a section of a tree like this turned into a bowl? 
Pretty cool!

There were more stories and more bowls. 
If you are interested in seeing more about these handmade bowls please visit the turningartsgroup.com.
Thank you Gene and Nancy for a wonderful afternoon.
Thank you.

Hope you have a great day!
Kristin

3 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Those are some awesome bowls!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

They are so beautiful. I love the Norfolk Pine one. One of my favorite pine trees.

Ann in the UP said...

Saw this post yesterday but didn't have time to comment. I love turned wooden bowls, too, but have never seen any as lovely as these are. Thanks for the peek at them