Friday, February 25, 2011

Fernandina Beach part I

She's back home, in her snowy little town, but boy oh boy did we have a great week.

We had a lot of fun and millions of things to talk about.

We ate food (lots of food),  drove around town and added a few hundred miles to my odometer, saw a lot of wildlife, shopped a little, visited her friend in Orlando, saw my friends in the hospital and slept with the windows open.

The best vacations we've had together have been the ones spent in the car driving around and chatting.

Since I haven't said much this week, I'll start tonight with a little photo essay of our first few days.


Our first day out I decided to take a route I had never driven before.  It was the scenic drive to Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach.  I really like the sandy tracks off the main roadway.  When we stopped to take mailbox pictures, I took this photo.


Lots of interesting mailbox art.  The dolphin was right next door to the Danish flag with the rope.  The surfers on the big wave was a hundred yards up the same road from the others.  It was clearly an exciting drive for us!


In order to read the menu, you will probably have to click on the photo.  I put dots next to the featured item and that was the Trio of Grilled Cheese ( shown below in the collage)  Oh my goodness it was so so good!


Bob ordered the the grilled cheese trio, too.  We shared the mac and cheese, as one can never have too much cheese in a meal and then we ordered the trio of dessert. 


The bread pudding was the most delicious dessert I've had in a very very long time.  It tasted like a creamy, buttery french toast dessert.  Then we had a chocolate fudge cake and a peach cobbler.

Our waiter was attentive, funny, informed and fantastic.  This was a fabulous meal.


Jack and Diane's
708 Centre Street
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034-3941
(904) 321-1444 ‎


To walk off our fab lunch we walked around a few antique shops.  I asked the person at the front desk if I could take photos because the first few steps in the door were things I had to capture.  She said, "Please!  Photograph anything you'd like!" and I did :)


This hanging hook thing was unusual and very cool.  I saw some kissing folks :) and a Royal Crown sign as well as three or four other RC items.  The most wonderful, awful, tackiest shell sculpture ever!  Loved it!! 


I'm going to end it here and continue the adventures of Bob and Bob tomorrow.

Have a great day!
Kristin

7 comments:

Cyndy Bush said...

It all sounds & looks like SO much fun! And the food sounds heavenly.

Bill Lisleman said...

great pics and storyline too.
I can only imagine if I looked out and saw someone hugging my mailbox - funny.

Keetha Broyles said...

I SEE those kissers! And I'll RAISE you one - - -

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh yah, the "raise" is over at my place - - -

Ann in the UP said...

Fun, fun, fun. I LOVE bread pudding, too. One of the great treats in New Orleans. The best I've ever eaten was at the racetrack. Fabulous!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Have sweet mercy.......a grilled cheese trio?
Heaven.
Complete Heaven.
WILL HAVE to try that place out next trip down!!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

So glad you had such a wonderful time. Love the pictures and that meal looks so delicious!!!