Wednesday, November 16, 2011

POTD - Swamp grass


POTD - Swamp grass
©2011 Kristin Corlett


In an area right in my neck of the woods is a retaining pond with a whole host of cattails.  I thought all of the tall grasses were cattails, but this grass was different.   I have done some investigative work (Google searches) and have not come up with the correct terminology to figure this one out.  I may have taken a picture of the entire stalk, I can't remember right now, but these are the seeds.  They seem to just push right out of the top of the grass.  Wild looking.  Speaking of wild.  I sort of freaked myself out and got the heck out of there when I started wondering if an alligator was in the water waiting for me to get just a little bit closer.

If you know what kind of grass this is, shout it out.  Ya know, it may be a pampas grass come to think of it.  I'll check on that.

Enjoy!
Kristin


3 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

Pretty fibery stuff----maybe it can be spun into yarn. LOL

Cyndy Bush said...

I was going to say pampas grass, but you beat me to it. ;-)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I don't have a clue but I love your picture!