Wednesday, October 14, 2009

City Chickens




The other day my mom and I took Zora to a woman's home who raises chickens.  She lives in the city and has a fenced in yard and a little chicken coop.  They only have a few and they raise them mostly for the eggs and partly for the entertainment I think :)




I can't remember this woman's name but she's got three lovely boys that she homeschools.

One of the boys is Zora's age, so just after this next shot, the kids ran off to play and hit each other with big sticks of bamboo. 



Zora got the biggest kick out of being able to pet the chickens and to see where they slept at night.

She was also thrilled to discover that one of the chickens lays bluegreen eggs. 




I just never know what's going to be a part of my day when I wake up in the morning. Sometimes it's Farmer's Markets and some days it's chickens. Today I had lunch with a boy that I went to Kindergarten and First grade with and who was one of my first kisses. :) We've been in touch all those years, but probably haven't seen each other in at least 30 years. Truly amazing.

Sometimes it's taking my sister to the hospital like we did on Monday. I just wanted to update that my sister got home yesterday after being observed for 24 hours and she and baby are just fine. We're expecting the delivery of new baby next Wednesday as planned. If you have no idea what I'm talking about - Click Here to get caught up in a hurry.

I hope you have a FABULOUS remaining week!
Kristin

6 comments:

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

How do the blue green eggs taste? Any different?

City chickens is one place I cannot go. I'd rather get my eggs from a paper carton :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I'd love some of those chickens. Though I dont eat chicken, or eggs, I would love to raise them for the eggs for my family. I think it would be a neat learning experience.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The chickens look wonderful, so healthy. Nice photos. Glad your sister is doing well. God Bless.

denise said...

i'm so, so behind on your life (as if i wasn't behind enough on my own)...and when i start feeling overwhelmed or like i can't accomplish something (like having enough time to read your past blogs) i put it off longer which makes matters worse...so i want to go way back to a visit you had with a friend or fellow blogger...just caught a glimpse before i lost internet connection...but so much has happened since then! i love the randomness of this and many posts that you do...and how you connect so many things...i had just read about your sister (reading older to newer) and was hoping you had an update...glad she is ok! now to catch up (go back to reading backwards)...you are so good about blogging often! thanks!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I used to raise chickens and loved it. We live in a neighborhood now, wonder if I could have chickens? Hmmm....

Keetha Broyles said...

Glad to hear your sister is doing well. Can't wait to hear baby news.

The trip to the city chicks looks like fun!!!