Monday, November 23, 2009

POTD - Wynken, Blynken, and Nod



Wynken, Blynken, and Nod- by Kristin Corlett

These are the three smoke stacks from the Board of Water and Light building in Lansing, MI.  I've grown up calling them Wynken, Blynken, and Nod because at night they have all these lights that blink on and off from top to bottom.  I don't think that name is as popular now because when I mention that my sister lives near Wynken, Blynken, and Nod I usually get a blank stare.

However, I just looked up WBN on Wikipedia and there is a reference to it being associated to the Board of Water and Light building.    To read the poem Click Here.

This was a bit longer than I usually do for a Photo of the Day, but it needed to be told :)
Enjoy!
Kristin

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

K - my mom used to work at that power plant - Eckert Station - I remember when they were being built. She would from time to time take us to the roof of that plant - it was so high up and the smoke stacks were even taller.

Unknown said...

Great photo!
stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

jb said...

I remember some time in the '80's the Lansing State Journal had a "name the smokestacks" contest...I recall that Wynken Blyken and Nod won...because they smoke stakes had always been called that! They will always be named that for me...

jb said...

p.s. I have the Simon Sister's album with the song version of the poem on it...a vinyl LP that I was given in 1971...and one of the Simon sisters is Carly Simon, singing with her sister Lucy. I still have that lp somewhere in the basement!

Claudya Martinez said...

They are sort of freakish and phallic.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Maybe verizon will pay thousands for that shot from you?