Friday, May 06, 2011

POTD - Caregiver Tattoos


My friends Albert and Patti got tattoos recently to honor the gift of life that someone gave to their spouses, who each needed a liver transplant. Albert's tattoo says "Give Life" and shows a cross with the green ribbon for organ donation. The three doves represent the three transplant friends that have died in the past year from various causes.   The dates on the ribbon signify the dates of Julie's two transplants. The first liver that she received on January 2nd never woke up from the procurement procedure. She needed a second transplant and received it two weeks later.

Patti's tattoo is a butterfly with the green ribbon as the body and Matt's transplant date hovering above. His transplant wasn't an easy one either, but 4 months later he is recovering beautifully.

These two have often referred to the tattoos as "Caregiver Tattoos" but I'm not falling for it.  I was the caregiver and I'm not getting a tattoo.  I blog. That's my way of spreading the message.

I'm also a big chicken.
No way I'm getting one.

But anyway, back to the subject at hand...the tattoos are on their forearms so that hopefully people will ask about the images. This will be an easy way to talk about being an organ donor to the curious and to tell their story about how grateful they are to the donor and the donor family for the gift of life.

Albert & Julie and Matt & Patti will no doubt be wonderful spokespeople for organ donation.

Have a great day!
Kristin

For more information on organ donation please visit...
http://donatelife.net/

10 comments:

LAC said...

Badges of honor! Rightfully earned and proudly displayed.


Sorry I haven't been by to visit, lots to get done before my trip next week. Have a great weekend, be safe, be loved.

Ann in the UP said...

I think it's wonderful to spread the word. But I'm like you---no tats, maybe a bracelet.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is a great way to start a conversation. They are beautiful tattoos.

Beth Zimmerman said...

I usually don't like tattoos (bad experiences with folks who wear them) but I have to admit those would be conversation starters even for me!

Keetha Broyles said...

No tat for me either, but if I WAS going to get one, I'd consider that butterfly! LOVE that its body is the ribbon.

I hope those tats serve their purpose and they get to have many conversations about transplants and donating.

Karen and Gerard said...

I do not like tattoos and would never get one. I would gladly be an organ donor after my death.

Lifeofkaylen said...

I hadn't heard of caregiver tattoos before! VERY cool idea!! A really easy way to promote a great need in our society.

Emily said...

I think tattoos can have great meaning and I applaud your friends. The way I see it for me, I already have enough chronic pain without getting a tattoo!

Mrs4444 said...

Great idea for the brave ones... I prefer your method!haha

Becca said...

What sweet tattoos....they don't hurt that bad really...