Thursday, May 26, 2011

Friday Fragments

It's Friday Fragments Day!!

It's Friday Fragments Day!
It's Friday Fragments Day!  
It's Friday Fragments Day!

Welcome to Friday Fragments!  This is the place where we're able to put little snippets of fun or interesting things together without having to stretch that idea into an entire blog post.

Mrs. 4444 is our lovely host and I am so grateful for her continued hosting of this fun carnival.  For more Friday Fragment finds, please head on over to Half-Past Kissin' Time.  Thanks!




A friend of mine has been trying to close on a condo for the past SEVEN months!  It has been a discouraging process, that's for sure.   Finally this morning, they closed and are new homeowners!!!

I was such a sneak - I convinced the lawn guys to open the gate to their condo community and I put this giant red flocked wrapping paper heart on their door.   It was a total surprise to them.  It was so great - they thought the previous homeowners put the heart up for them!  Nope :) 



My husband started his drive to Michigan yesterday.  He packed up and headed out about 9am and within an hour he had picked up a hitchhiker.  He said that this guy was a gray haired guy about his age, going North, looking for work.  My husband drove with him a few hundred miles, bought him lunch when they stopped and then when he dropped him off, he gave him a hundred dollar bill.  I'm actually not terribly surprised he did this - it's totally within his nature - but I'm totally surprised that he did this!  He hasn't picked up a hitchhiker in years, but he told me fairly recently about a Savannah homeless man he met.  The guy was huddled in a doorway on one of those freezing cold winter nights we had down South -  He said he woke the guy up and pressed a 20 into his palm and told him to get a room and warm up.      My husband is the orneriest-golden-hearted man I know.  Most of the time his ornery side is showing, but he'll surprise ya!  Yes he will.



The Oprah Winfrey Show is over.  Completely over.  It was on my list of things to do for probably 10 years to go to Chicago and be in her audience.  It must not have been too high on my priority list because I never made any plans to go.  But it's just really odd to think that I won't ever be able to sit in that audience.


I found this buffet sign on Failblog.org





My Dad is 67 years old and on Monday he was admitted into the hospital for the very first time in his life.  When I spoke to him a few days before his scheduled knee replacement surgery, he was really nervous.  I think we all would be to some degree, but since he'd never been in a hospital, I can imagine that it would be nerve wracking for him.  This was yet another time when I wish that I could blink and get somewhere.  I so wish I could have been with him.  Thankfully he has Sue, his girlfriend of a dozen years.  She was with him when he came out of surgery.  I'm so very grateful for that.  He also had a lot of visitors over the past three days.    He's home now.  The biggest complaint he had about the hospital?  The food.  He hated it.  He absolutely hated it.




My sister sent me the cutest picture of my niece, Scarlett.  I about melted.





I just created a new folder in my gmail. It's called LOVE. I am incredibly fortunate that every so often I receive notes of gratitude and sometimes notes of love from friends and internet friends, too. I have decided that I want to save them...sort of a rainy day emotional fund. I can draw from it whenever,  by just reading the messages.



My sister had a very good idea. She said "When I was working my "city" job I made a point of keeping a folder of emails of gratitude and compliments from anyone I worked with and for. The sole purpose was for leverage when it came to raises."




This is the original arrow photo.
I used the photobucket effects tools to edit the photos. 

 Hope you enjoyed my Friday Fragments.  Please visit Mrs. 4444 to see read more and to hang out with pretty awesome fraggers.

Have a great weekend!
Kristin

7 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Love the arrow. Your husband is brave. I think it is wonderful what he did its just that you hear so many horrible stories of terrible things happening to people who have picked up people.
Sweet surprise with that heart.
Glad your dad is doing well. Can't believe that Scarlett is so big already. Cute picture.

Bill Lisleman said...

do ever wonder when you post the FF post before Mrs. 4444 if for some reason she might not post this week? just wondering.
Wow your husband is a generous guy. We picked up hitch hikers in Ireland years ago. It was more common there then.

Oh if you have a moment - your vote over at Jillsy Girls would be great (even if you didn't vote for me just voting is a good thing)
http://jillsygirl.blogspot.com/2011/05/its-time-to-cast-your-votes.html

Rebecca said...

When you said 'that's for sure' I could only hear Joey in my head because he's been saying that all the time now, for some reason.

And the heart on the door, how welcoming and sweet. When we moved out of our old house, I made a 'key' holder with what the key inside each slot went to. I had the kids paint paper and I glued the paper in a way that it was pretty and colorful and hopefully welcoming....I hung it on the refrigerator.

Karen and Gerard said...

Your husband has a kind heart. So do I but must admit, I never picked up a hitchhiker, nor did I give $100 to a stranger.

Stopping by from FF.

Traci Marie Wolf said...

Wow, you and your husband are the sweetest people. The world needs more people like you.

The Oprah show! I KNOW! I feel your pain. How did I not go in 25 years?

Thank God your fathers home. I can understand why it would be scary.

Traci Marie Wolf said...

Oops I accidentally sent that too quick.

About the love folder, what a great idea. I think the more all of us focus on people who love us, the more positive we become. I've been thinking about this lately. I focus too much on negative situations. I think I may try your idea out.

Traci Marie Wolf said...

OOps. I forgot, here from FF. Can you tell I'm DEAD tired?