Thursday, May 19, 2011

POTD - Lily of the Nile


POTD - Lily of the Nile
©2011 Kristin Corlett

I think these are such pretty flowers, but they do come and go quite quickly. I wasn't sure of the name so I Googled "Blue bulb flower Florida" among other things and after a very long time I finally found the flower - It's an Agapanthus also known as Lily of the Nile or African Lily. Well, I wouldn't have thought it was a lily, I thought it was more like an allium, but someone else chose the name :)

Enjoy!
Kristin

4 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

Those are really showy blossoms. Have you ever seen moonflowers? My neighbor has them reseed and come up every year. They are like petunias on super-steroids. I bought seeds though and didn't get the same plants. The seeds are for vines and Red's are bushes. Hmm. Time for some discreet plant stealing.

Keetha Broyles said...

I didn't even think about the lily part - - - I was too stuck on the Nile. Because, you know, so MUCH of the Nile flows through Florida!

Bill Lisleman said...

Don't ask me about flower names. I just finally got the tulip and daffodil straighten out. I think if you create a new type flower (mixing pollen?) you get to name it.

qandlequeen said...

I've never seen one! Very pretty