Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Ruby Slippers


photo from Google images

Today was the 70th Anniversary of the film, Wizard of Oz.  In honor of this anniversary theaters around the country showed an enhanced (High Def) version of the original movie as well as a 20 minute behind the scenes documentary of the the Wizard of Oz.   We learned such things like Buddy Ebsen was the original Tin Man, but the powdered aluminum that was put on his face during a rehearsal completely coasted his lungs.  He had to be rushed to the hospital and was unable to continue his role as the Tin Man.  I had no idea that before he was Jed Clampett, Buddy Ebsen was a singer and dancer.  I knew he was talented, but I  had no idea.

It's been eons since I've seen this particular movie.  I just don't ever choose to watch it when it's on TV but I just couldn't resist seeing it in the theater.   I saw Gone with the Wind when it came out in an anniversary edition in theaters and I'll never forget it.  I'll never forget this event either.

So I went.

and I sat with about 400 others.

I was surprised at how many people came out for the movie, but I was thrilled, too!  The theater probably held about 700, so I had an open seat on either side of me.  Even better :)

The theater was full of families.  Small kids, high schoolers, moms and dads, couples and a few like me - singles.  There wasn't a single crying child, no one with a nagging cough and only a few people furiously text messaging during the show.  It was a very nice time.  I'm so happy that I went.

Before the movie started the family next to me decided to do a little school work.

Vocab.  I got a B- in spelling in 6th grade.  It still isn't my forte.

I brought out a business card and a pen (blogging material if nothing else) and wrote down what I heard.

Honey, spell dissuade. dis-suade.  Do you know what it means?

Fathom was next.

Then interrogate.

I didn't have a clue how to spell the next one.  Entrepreneur.  At least not without writing it down.

Indignant, indispensable and interrupt were in there, too, along with a whole slew of words I either didn't hear or just didn't know!

I was feeling like I needed to go back to school until we got to indifferent.  I knew that one.

It's always good to have a vocab lesson while waiting for the movie to begin :)

Thankfully the movie started and vocab was over.

If you didn't get a chance to see the Wizard of Oz in the theater today, do yourself a favor and rent the movie (no commercials) it really is good and was a pleasure to see a childhood classic. 

Have a fabulous day!
Kristin

3 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I didn't know that and I would have gone. I love the movie.
My current puppy is a Cairn Terrier just like Toto. My moms name was Dorothy. I have all the ornaments that Hallmark puts out every year. I am glad that you went. That is what I get for never watching the news!!!!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I'd have loved to go to that movie! I always loved it and my youngest daughter loves it too.

j said...

That was my favorite movie as a little girl and I still love it today! I'm so glad you had a good time.