Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thrifty Finds

Welcome to the 33rd edition of Thrifty Thursday hosted by Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville. This gives us all a chance to have a fun time hunting around the house, the garage, someone elses house and garage or even a thrift store or two to dig up some cool finds.

Be sure and check out the other Thrifty Finds, from the other participants. I'm always amazed at what folks submit and how often I wish I'd found it, or bought it or noticed it...whatever IT is :)

This week I'm showing more of my photo finds from the Antique Mall here in Jacksonville, FL. I also found a few things in my travels this weekend in Five Points ( a cool little area in Jacksonville.) I had a great time finding these treasures, hope you enjoy them!



This is a real nice platter. It had a bunch of items on top of it, but I dug through it all :) and for $13 I could have purchased it. I have a platter similar to it that I rarely use, so I just wished.

I am emptying matchboxes around here and have no place to put the matches. I thought this max holder would be perfect. I took the photo and checked the price and then some man got to talking to me about who knows what and I walked away not remembering that I wanted it. LOL Sometimes having a bad memory is a good thing. It saved me seven bucks!

Now this was a document that lists the persons name and their occupation & the dues they paid. I was intrigued with the paper but mostly I was in love with the handwriting. Below I have a blurry closeup. What a beautiful script. This document was $18 and it was already in a frame.





Have you ever seen one of these paper records? I had forgotten about them completely until I saw this. I'm positive that I used to have a paper record when I was young. This item here was $5 - marked down from $8.

This picture was taken at a retail shop in Five Points. Five Points is a little section of the Riverside neighborhood that has a great little row of shops. This store, whos name I totally forgot, is wonderful. (Bob, do you remember this place? You got a purse here, as I recall)

Anyway, the entire store is filled with these antique mirrors. If you click to enlarge the photo you can really see in the mirrors. The oval mirror on the right has a reflection of one of the other walls of mirrors. What a great idea. I love it. I've been to auctions before where the discarded dresser mirrors are purchased for a few dollars.


I'm going to end my Thrifty Finds with this smiling boy. I have always liked these oval frames, but rarely do I see a photo inside with a smiling subject. I haven't priced these out, but even for a smiling boy, I think $58 is a little too high. Then again, my photo of it was free!!

I hope you have enjoyed my Thrifty Thursday and please go ahead and wander on over to Leigh's and see the others who have participated.

Have a fabulous day!
Kristin

11 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I love your thrifty finds! What a cool idea. I love thrift stores and have some pretty cool finds myself.
I'm not far from you, I live near Gainesville.

Terri said...

nice post.

paper records? never heard of them?!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

You found some really neat stuff. Love the matchsafe, and that wall of mirrors was very cool. Thank you for taking a picture of it.

Its So Very Cheri said...

Thanks for coming by Its So Very Cheri. I hope you will come by often, leave lots of comments and become a follower and I will do the same.
I can not wait till she gets me the photos of their home. It is so cute.
Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Great finds! LOve the mirror. I would've bought the macth box holder. Neat and conversation piece. I like that is had old advertising on it. And the boy...cute! ANd you are right, old pictures are rarely smiles. LOve him! Great finds! Thanks for linking up in Thrifty Thursday this week!

Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Ruth Ann said...

Great finds! I love collecting older photos! I actually keep alot of old photos on display in my house! Many people have asked me who they were and find it odd that they are no relation! lol
My favorite all time photo is of two little girls milking a cow and laughing hysterically! LOVE IT! I'll have to scan it and show you sometime! Oh and the mirror place I just love, wish I could go there myself! Have a wonderful night!

jb said...

I remember that store! It was amazing! I still treasure the purse (special occasions and light travel only)!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Love the plate, looks like California poppies. Also like the matchstick holder. Looks like you had a good time.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Great finds, great share. That little boy in the last photo is adorable... I'll bet he gave his parents fits!

Love the match holder....and that ledger sheet's handwriting IS amazing. Do you think anyone can write like that nowadays?

Cass

Barbara Jean said...

Love that hand written page, fancy!!

Little boy pic is great too.
thanks for coming by and leaving a comment.
blessings
barbara jean

Julie said...

I love the things you found. And you made me laugh with the price of the boy's photo. I wouldn't have paid $58 either.