Monday, January 24, 2011

Before and During


There's just something about furniture that I can hardly resist.  I remember one of the first pieces of furniture that I purchased, I got it because I thought that the piece needed to be cared for better than it had been.

Bad mistake. 
I was putting a lot of emotion behind the purchase and it's hard to part with something if you put too much emotion behind it.


I bought this piece a few weeks ago, but thankfully I didn't have any real emotion attached to it.  I was however determined to get rid of the fabric and batting because it smelled something awful.  It was in a filthy house that was like a moment in time.  All of the furniture, bedding, knick knacks, artwork, everything was 50 years old.  I think there was even a rotary dial phone still in use. 


I stripped off the fabric, got some wood glue and tightened up the two corners that were loose.  I also cleaned it up within an inch of its life.  I have purchased new batting and am using fabric that I have on hand to reupholster this piece.  The wood is in pretty rough shape, but I'll shine it up and it should look pretty good.   I really want to paint it white - shabby chic it up - but my husband had a fit. 

One really good thing is that it sure does smell a lot better than it did when I got it!

I haven't finished the back and seat yet, so I'll have to update that later in the week.  :)

Have a great day!
Kristin

4 comments:

LAC said...

Yay for you giving it new life. I did this kind of project a few years ago with a set of chairs, one platform rocker, another stationary. My grandma bought them for me at an estate sale. And she used fabric that my late aunt had bought for a project and never used. The best part of the entire thing was using her fabric and doing all the sanding and refinishing in my grandfather's garage as he watched and chatted with me. He died a few months later. I don't have the chairs anymore, but I kept the cushions. One is in the bathroom for me to kneel on when Megan gets a bath. I keep the others tucked away, because you never know.

Thank you for the memories this morning...

Ann in the UP said...

I have an old Singer sewing machine in a beat up cabinet that needs refinishing but I can't bear to have the machine out of commission that long. I bought it for $25 at a garage sale and it sews like a dream. It was made in NJ in 1947.

Your description of the "50 years ago house" sounds like a good setting for a mystery book. Eerie.

Keetha Broyles said...

I am like WAY impressed that you know how to DO this!!! I have a couple of chairs that need you to come help me work on them!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Can't wait to see it when it's finished. It is a wide chair.