Friday, January 07, 2011

Scalloped Corn (bread)

The other day I talked about the Souper Supper that I'm going to attend next week and I thought about making this scalloped corn recipe of my Mom's.  Well, since the card was marked up with some extras I thought it might be a good idea to do a test run.

Well...that and it was really delicious when I had it on Christmas Eve and if I know my friends there won't be any leftovers when I take it next week.


I decided to make a single batch and I did substitut the Greek Yogurt for the sour cream.   Greek Yogurt adds in some protein and it is wonderfully delicious.

This recipe was written when the can size of corn was 17 oz - well now it's 14.5 oz.  Funny how that happens.  The cans get smaller but the price stays the same.  But that's a rant for another day!

I used the 14.5 oz cans and didn't worry about the shortage.  The Greek Yogurt came in 7oz container and I didn't add to that either.


I used a big bowl and just mixed everything together.  How easy is that?!

I poured it into this baking dish, but forgot to grease it.  It didn't stick too bad, but I'll remember to butter it next time. 


I cooked this for 55 minutes in a 350º oven and it came out perfect.  The top had a slight crust on it and the inside was not too dry and not too wet.  A toothpick inserted into the cake came out clean - that's when I knew it was done. 


It was almost 9pm when I finished this, so I scooped myself a bowl of it before it even cooled off.  I used my coconut shell rice server as the serving spoon.  I love that piece.  It's one of my favorites.  It's not just for serving rice :)


Don't you think this will make a nice side to go with soup?  It was nice side to go with some chicken salad, too.  I'm crazy about chicken salad as you may know by now.

I'm going to have to ask my mom about that PS at the bottom that says "to increase add 1 egg and 1 can cream corn."  Is that to make a little more than a single but not quite a double?  Not sure.

Mom?  Can you explain?

Have a wonderful weekend!
Kristin




Scalloped Corn (bread)

8 oz sour cream or Greek Yogurt
1 stick butter, melted
1 can (14.5 -17oz) creamed corn
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 can (14.5 -17 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
1 box Jiffy corn bread mix
a little salt

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a 1 1/2 quart greased baking dish.
Bake at 350º for 50-60 minutes.
cracker crumbs are an optional topping.

10 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you, I want to try this one, it looks delicious. Glad you listed the ingredients.

Doreen McGettigan said...

I am certainly going to try this one and amazingly I have all the ingredients on hand!
Thank you for sharing...I thought of you as I drove through the city of my birth last month...it was freezing!

Cyndy Bush said...

My sister makes this every year for Christmas & Thanksgiving. But they call it Corn Bread Casserole. It's a big hit!

Keetha Broyles said...

This is HOT Indiana Thanksgiving fare too. Here we just call it "Scalloped Corn" and we eat it as a vegetable side dish.

YUM!!!

Judith Bridger said...

...the note at the bottom was something Diana had added (I've not made it that way...it might adjust for the sm. cans, making it a bit more moist, but yours looked great).

Substituting Greek Yogurt adds a lot of protein and can be fat free if you so desire. I highly recommend using it in many sour cream recipes. I however do not use fat free.

I have to go to a pot luck tonight, maybe I should just make this again. :o)) thanks for the idea. lm

Kristin - The Goat said...

Thanks Mom :)

Ann in the UP said...

I agree that it looks just delicious. And not just because I'm starving for supper!

Yummy!

CDScott said...

This looks yummy! May be a silly question but why is it called "scalloped"? I've never heard of scalloped corn bread before.

j said...

I WILL be making this soon, maybe even tomorrow!

Mrs4444 said...

Mouth is watering over here....