Saturday, January 29, 2011

Concrete Angels


Here's the angel from the other day.  My friend JB asked if she was holding a burrito - well, I honestly couldn't tell until I pulled out this photo.  I guess they really were roses.  I was interested in getting her face and her wings in the shot that I hadn't really looked to see what was in her hands.

I mentioned yesterday (here) that she had big features - big eyes, big flat mouth and a thick neck - I don't think it was as evident in yesterdays photo as it is here. 

My blogging friend, Lisa, really enjoys taking photos of concrete angels and yesterday when she saw my POTD she commented that she should start a Flickr group that features them.  Being the go-getter that she is, she did! (I would have waited weeks if not months to start the group.  I'm just not too quick on these things.) If you have some concrete angels that you have photographed and would like to be a part of the group, I invite you to join the Concrete Angel Flickr pool.  I may not be quick in creating things but I certain am quick to join! 


In my wanderings today I ended up at another cemetery.  This one in Mandarin (a Jacksonville neighborhood), where I've been before, but just today I realized that the cemetery is only open on weekends and holidays.  Isn't that interesting?  It makes sense now that I think about it.


This angel isn't concrete.  She's far from it actually as she's styrofoam with a flecked paint over top.  She was still quite lovely and I got several beautiful shots of her.  


I picked stuff up, dropped stuff off, went to an estate sale and made a point to explore some neighborhoods just so I could take some photos and have a little something to blog about and I end up talking about a cemetery again.  Well, sometimes you just have to do what seems right at the time.   I didn't want to forget to mention Lisa's new Flickr group.  I am going to have to go back into my archives and see if I have any other concrete angels.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Kristin

3 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

A burrito holding thick necked, broad nosed, wide mouthed angel!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I see the roses, that's good to know. I love Lisa's concrete angels. I think I have some from my Chicago trip. I can't believe that one is styrofoam! What a beautiful shot will the fallen flowers.

LAC said...

Yep, I started the group. Then got too busy to get the codes and such done. It's on my to do list. I have to get to that. Love the angels, I wish there were more in my area. Might have to find a list of cemetaries to explore in the city on my lunch breaks this summer.