Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Just wandering around


After my doctors appointment today I decided to figure out how to get to my doctor's office without having to get on the expressway.   I just knew there was a way and I was kind of hoping I'd run into a photo gem along the way.

My road cut across a major road (that I knew) and then turned into a dead end.  The dead end was a sleepy little neighborhood.  I was immediately rewarded with this log mailbox keeper.  I can add it to my mailbox collection.

Across the street from the mailbox was a gorgeous tree, but I'd have to walk into the peoples backyard to photograph it.  I drove around to the front of the house to see if I could knock on their door.  Nope.  I didn't want to give up, but I didn't want to trespass.   I decided to come back.


I found this old basketball hoop inches from the roadway.  Clearly the kids who played basketball, played in the road.  I think it's been awhile since anyone played.

I met a woman who was pulling out of her driveway and I told her I was taking pictures of the hoop.  She asked why.  I told her because I thought it was interesting.  She sort of huffed, rolled her eyes and drove off.  Some folks really don't understand.  That's OK :)


Then I wandered back to the house with the great tree.  I decided to stop and take a picture of the roadway.  While I was standing in the middle of the road a man riding a bike came toward me.  I said hello and asked him about the house with the tree.  I explained that the tree was so beautiful next to the barn and I'd like to take a picture of it, but it didn't look like anyone was home.

He suggested that he join me in trespassing because he was a neighbor and no one would question him.  Sounded good to me!  So we wandered in just a little ways, as I wasn't brave enough to get real close. We talked for a few minutes and I learned that he was a tree guy from Connecticut but moved back to Jacksonville recently.  Guess I know who's mailbox I photographed!


Then we discussed this tree.  This gorgeous tree with all of the Spanish moss on it, next to the old barn, next to the frostbitten plant.  I wish I could have wandered all around this place as there were a dozen more shots I would have loved to have taken.  The tree guy and I walked back to the road and we noticed a car turning around in the drive next door.  She pulled up next to us and sighed as she rolled down the window.

"Am I anywhere near the Mayo Clinic?" she asked.

Tree guy didn't know how to direct her, but I did.  I told her I'd do a little better and I'd drive her to the highway because it was a little tricky to get there.  I thanked the tree guy, hopped in my car and got the woman on her way to Mayo.

I guess I realize now why I detoured and stayed on that little back road for as long as I did.  I was waiting to help that woman get to Mayo.  Well, that and get my shot :)

Have a great day!
Kristin

8 comments:

Ruth Ann said...

You are a brave, brave, girl! NEVER EVER go anywhere with a strange man...he could of attacked you in the barn! Eventhough I know dangers like that I still do them too! lol I once got into an elderly couple's van just to pet their dog! I knew in my head that it probably wasn't a good idea, but I still did it anyway! ;)


It's funny that you posted this because there is a tree in the field of these peoples house! I have always loved the tree, but I'm too afraid to knock on the door and ask. I was told before if I do something like that I need to have them sign a property release if I want to sell them on Etsy. Is that true? Cause I don't mind asking for permission, but I'm too embarrassed to ask them to sign a release cause I don't want to make them mad that I might sell them!

Cyndy Bush said...

I don't think I've ever seen that much Spanish Moss on one tree! Very interesting. I love the shot of the road, too.

Rebecca said...

Gorgeous tree! Lovely path.

Bill Lisleman said...

you are a good neighbor - that's an amazing tree.
You need to put a sign on your car - free Mayo Clinic directions

Keetha Broyles said...

Does Spanish Moss always get that white in the winter? I've never seen it so white - - - but then, we don't HAVE it up here, so how would I know???

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I always see the most unusual mail boxes in Florida. Looks like the basketball hoop has been up for many years, it is so weathered. I love when things work out like they did for you. Meeting the man who took you closer to the tree which by the way is absolutely beautiful. I do love the moss and it did give you the opportunity help the woman. God always has a plan.

LAC said...

God works in wonderous ways. Yep, I'd say you were meant to help that woman. I wonder if you'll cross paths again sometime???


Great shot of the tree and barn, well worth trespassing. Do you print the pics and take them back to the places/owners where you took them? I'd like to start doing that someday, with a business card attached of course. lol.

Mrs4444 said...

Nice little story; I like the tone, and I'm glad you got the shot of that very interesting tree!