Saturday, May 30, 2009

Fort Charles Ireland

Fort Charles, Ireland.
Located just on the outskirts of Kinsale, Ireland.

This is a star fort - which means that it was built in the shape of a star in order to effectively defend the surrounding area. I think it's a really neat design - and shows up well in the aerial photograph, below. I'm sure that's the reason for it's design - to look neat in an aerial photo LOL

Fort Charles (construction started in the late 1670s) was in use until 1922, after the end of World War I. I was quite surprised to hear that, as it seems like the fort has deteriorated quite a bit more than just 80 years of neglect. Some of the castles I've seen look better than this fort.

I do have to say though, I think the place is beautiful.

I enjoyed photographing it.

Aerial Photo from Live Search Maps

One half of the giant doors that lead into the fort.

I have no idea what these are. They are right next to the entrance to the fort. I though they were for water, but I don't think that's right. I haven't done much digging to find out what they are. I'm sure I will someday :)

Walking down into the fort.




another view of the interior of the fort. In the distance you can see the Kinsale Marina. It's a private boat yard.


An old fort, the ocean inlet, boats and waterfront homes.


The exterior of the fort is in very good condition. I love the little grassy tops of the walls.


I have no idea what this is, but I liked the shape.

A chimney and fireplace. I wonder what was covering that brick to keep all of the mortar intact like it is.

I thought this was such a cool view. Chimneys, stairs, and walls and windows.

This was a small dormitory of sorts I do believe. I think it was a newer addition to the original fort because of the smooth concrete walls.

I really liked the vines covering the roof...well, the rafters that used to hold up the roof.

I have absolutely no idea what these were. There were actually 4 of these, but three looked better in the frame :)


As we were leaving I went around to the exterior of the fort to see the ocean. I couldn't help it, I had to take one more shot of those incredible stone walls.

Thanks for joining me on the brief tour of Fort Charles, Ireland.
Kristin

2 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

All cool pictures. I like the view from above best, but did you take that???? Don't see how you could have.

Kristin - The Goat said...

The very first photo is from Live Search Maps - I think it's the Microsoft version of Google Maps. (I did give credit to where I got the image - since you always seem to catch me on that! haha) The rest of the photos though, are all from the little goat girl.