Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Chicken Lady






Click to Enlarge




Click to Enlarge






The Chicken Lady.

We saw the tombstones for the hens first at a museum in Edgartown, MA on Martha's Vineyard.  Then we saw the photo of Nancy Luce and the write up on the "Hen Lady" at a museum in West Tisbury across the Vineyard.  Then as we were driving by a cemetery Lily called out, "There was a chicken on someone's gravestone!" We knew we had to go back and see the Chicken Lady's grave. 




Unknown Mami


For more Sunday's in my City please head on over to Unknown Mami's place.
People from around the world join in for some fun times.

Have a great day!
Kristin

13 comments:

sheila said...

Over from SIMC ~ I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed this post!!! I'm into genealogy so I'm a big tombstone nut! What a great post and story! Thanks for sharing this!

Mine is up here

Ann in the UP said...

Interesting, funny, and sad.

Thanks for telling us about this.

Tara R. said...

What a fascinating story. The gravestone is amazing.

AudreyO said...

What a great story. I love old photos. I can actually see my own grandmother holding two chickens like that top photo :)

42N said...

You not only have an eye for photography but as a writer too. Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

I have been to Martha's Vineyard a few times. I somehow missed the Chicken Lady. Glad I stopped by the Goat to learn about the Chicken Lady.

Claudya Martinez said...

Pretty cool. I wonder if I could I could have shoes around my grave.

Shanthi said...

What an unusual and lovely story. Thanks for sharing :-)

Traci Marie Wolf said...

So very interesting, I love these kind of stories. I have a fascination for grave-sites also.

Karen and Gerard said...

I thought you were going to write about Mountain Woman when I saw this title! http://redpinemountain.com/

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is so interesting. How awesome that Lily saw that gravestone as you drove by!

CiCi said...

Great post. It really is interesting. And clear pictures. I enjoyed reading this.

Mrs4444 said...

So sad and intriguing. I love that she took advantage of all the attention.