Monday, July 11, 2011


My second day on my Scion Road Trip, after running out of gas, Lisa and family took me on a tour of their area.  As you may know, I called up several friends and blogger friends along a certain route I was taking to my New Hampshire destination and asked if I could spend a day and night with each family.  Lisa, who I have never met in person but has been my blogging friend for a few years now, agreed without batting an eye!  We are now official real life friends!  Whew!  I was nervous there for awhile :0)  Lisa planned a great photography tour of the area for the both of us.

High up on the agenda was to visit six local covered bridges.  Two of them were still in use as a roadway and the others were used as a picture taking and picnicking area.


The giant curved timbers that were used to support this bridge are truly amazing. 



I'm always amazed when I see the cost to build a hundred plus years ago.  I can't even imagine how much $1100 would be in 1849.  Was this price astronomical to them?  Was this figure more than they ever hoped to earn in a lifetime?   Many people today could put an amount like this on their credit card.



The still beauty of these bridges with the water and life below.   Truly fascinating.


This bridge is called a twin covered bridge.  One section goes over water and the other section (I'm guessing) was built over the land that probably was more marshy or prone to flooding.  I think it would be a lot of fun to have a little party or family event here.  I can certainly see how the bridges would make a great backdrop for weddings or photography portrait sessions. 


...that is, if you don't mind a bit of nature.

If you ever get the chance to visit a covered bridge, Go! 
Take your camera. 
Take your kids. 
Take a picnic. 
I highly recommend it.

Have a great day!
Kristin

9 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Fantanstic,thanks for sharing about this bridge.

Rebecca said...

Back when I was around 19 or 18??, I took a little detour to visit a covered bridge and on the path leading up to the covered bridge, there was a snake! It was little but I ran fast......and took cover in my car where I drove off fast. Very.

The bridge
http://mostateparks.com/park/sandy-creek-covered-bridge-state-historic-site#

Ruth Ann said...

Too bad you didn't swing by my area, we have tons of covered bridges here in PA! Which state were these taken at? When I took those photos of Alex on the red antique radio flyer tricycle, my original idea was for him to be driving across the bridge on his tricycle! Thought that would be cute, but I wasn't able to travel to the bridge in time to get back to pick Ben up from school! Great photos though! Hope you are having a great time!

Cyndy Bush said...

The spiderweb shot is my favorite!
I don't 'love' spiders, but I'm not as afraid of them as most people seem to be, and I love their beautiful webs.

LAC said...

The twin bridges, East and West Paden are still my favorites. Maybe because you get two with one stop! You know how afraid I am of pulling over and getting hit by a car! ... or dump truck. ;)

Just a note to your commenter, Ruth. These were taken in Columbia County, PA.

So glad you enjoyed them. Hubby and I wracked our brains trying to think of something fun, photo worthy and unique to PA to share with you. Score!!!

Hope you are loving the Vineyard. Can't wait to see more pictures. You will surely need a vacation from this vacation when you return to FL.

Big Hug, Miss Megan says.. HIYA!

Ann in the UP said...

I'm sure your great pictures that day were just a little part of the fun! It's so nice you got to meet Lisa. Lucky Lisa, Lucky You!

Terri said...

Ok, so now I see why I wasn't asked for a visit...Michigan not exactly on the way to N.H. and I guess when you visit family, you might as well continue on to Lansing rather than stop near the "D". : ) Would love to meet you one day and jealous you got to meet Lisa! Terri

42N said...

And besides, if it rains you already have shelter with these bridges! Nice shots!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I started to get tears in my eyes.
How awesome to see so many covered bridges.