Thursday, July 28, 2011

POTD - Bleeding Heart Vine


POTD - Bleeding Heart Vine
©2011 Kristin Corlett

In St. Augustine, Fl right next to a little cafe is a lovely little courtyard with this gorgeous Bleeding Heart Vine growing like gangbusters.  When the cafe manager came out to tell me it was a bleeding heart I didn't believe her at first because I'm used to the Bleeding Heart plant that I see in Michigan and this looked nothing like that one.  When I researched this a little bit, I found it is indeed called a Bleeding Heart, but it's a vine.  On the Wilson Bros. Nursery site they say that this vine is also called a Glory Bower Vine.  Bleeding heart is much easier to remember. 

If you decide to get yourself one of these, it sounds like it needs to winter indoors in all zones.  It's a bit fragile.  Hearts are fragile, aren't they?  This is no different.

Enjoy!
Kristin

3 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

How pretty. I wouldn't have tagged it as a bleeding heart either. My plant migrates around in my flower bed, and really shouldn't be planted in the full sun as it is. I should buy more plants and put them in the shade.

(Except my lawn guy, bless his heart, likes pristine, bush free spaces and mows stuff down.)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It's beautiful :)

Mrs4444 said...

Wow. Gorgeous!