Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Spelling Alphabet

My husband was a private pilot for many many years (and will be again, I'm sure). I think he got his first airplane when he was 17 years old. I've always been facinated with the alphabet that pilots used in the air, so I thought I'd pass it along today.

The alphabet is actually called the International Radiotelephony Spelling Alphabet (also the Phonetic Alphabet...although it's not phonetic, so I don't know why it is called that or the NATO Phonetic Alphabet). For this "lesson" it will be called the...

International Radiotelephony Spelling Alphabet

A = Alpha
B = Bravo
C = Charlie
D = Delta
E = Echo
F = Foxtrot
G = Golf
H= Hotel
I = India
J = Juliet
K = Kilo
L = Lima
M = Mike
N = November
O= Oscar
P = Papa
Q = Quebec
R = Romeo
S = Sierra
T = Tango
U = Uniform
V = Victor
W = Whiskey
X = Xray
Y = Yankee
Z = Zulu

Most of the words are recognizable by native English speakers because English must be used upon request for communication between an aircraft and a control tower whenever two nations are involved, regardless of their native languages. Wikipedia

I think it is fun to know these words - especially when you are trying to say a UPC code or something over the phone. "Did you say D or B??" Now you can say - "Did you say D as in Delta or B as in Bravo?" You'll be oooh so clever!

Have A Great Day!
Kristin

No comments: