Thursday, May 01, 2008

May Day

Today is May Day. I remember a few times when I was a kid I picked flowers and left them at the front door of my neighbors houses in little paper bags. The first day of May in Michigan is never constant and the flowers that are blooming May first is always an unknown. If we have an early spring, I can pick daffodils on my sisters birthday April 7th. That hasn't happened many times.

The past few years I've lived in Florida on May Day and the day comes and goes without much notice on my part. Spring is almost over by that time and I am not looking forward to the day as much as I did in Michigan.

Today however, I made a special trip to the store and I purchased two small "flower bowls" and gave them to Virginia & Sharon - two of my neighbors. The flower bowls were planted with several different plants but could sit on a table rather than being a hanging plant. The flower bowls will look nice on their patios.

I had fun - I placed the flowers in front of their doors. I put a little card in the foliage that just said Happy May Day - Love, Kristin

They both loved the flowers and enjoyed the thoughtfulness. I liked that just a little thing can connect you with your neighbors.

I hope you had a happy May Day.
Kristin

No comments: