Monday, May 26, 2008

Paper Prayers

I've mentioned before about how much I like the idea of writing things down in order to make them come to fruition. In Japan, they've been doing that for a very long time, in a different sort of way.

The picture shows paper prayers, probably tied to some sort of string that has been erected for just this purpose.

I've heard of people writing their prayers and sticking them inbetween rocks in a wall, burning them in fireplaces, or even coming up with their own ritual to get the prayers sent off to the Universe.

Victoria Moran, in her book "Creating a Charmed Life" talks about a New Years Day ritual that she has done with a friend of hers and their daughters - where they write out their wishes for the coming year and tie them to pencils, I think. Then they bury them in the ground...or something like that. I wish I had the book in front of me.

Victoria's idea was to make it fun and interesting but also to do it with purpose. The people who write out their prayers on little slips of paper and tie them to a string with thousands of other prayers are doing it with purpose. I'm sure a little ritual also takes place when they do this as well.

I often write down things I want to do, things I don't want to forget when I go to the grocery store, movies I want to see and little bits of inspiration, but rarely do I write down my prayers. I found one woman who made a prayer bowl out of a glass bowl, a votive holder and candle and some river rocks. She said that she writes out her prayer(s) and tucks them into the river rocks and lights the candle, to send them to the beyond. She keeps the prayers in the bowl until they are finished or she believes that they have been worked enough. It was an interesting thing to do.

I have a large glass vase of sorts where I place all of the inspirations from "The Secret" daily calendar. It is just filled with little bits of paper from the past 5 months. I reach in there every so often and read one or two of them. I have a little jar that has some of the fortunes I've received from fortune cookies. It might be nice to have a little jar or vase that contains some paper prayers. I just may try that.

Have a great day!
Kristin

No comments: