Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Double Twilight

I learned a lesson today and I'm not really sure I can explain it in my own words, so I'll quote someone else instead.  I have to admit though, that I read the article and STILL had no idea what they meant.  It wasn't until my husband pointed out the obvious that I got it.  But we had to be on the beach standing in the middle of it before I got it.

from GIZMODO 

Prepare for the Super Harvest Moon! For the first time in two decades, the Sun will sink as the full Moon rises exactly opposite to it on the day the summer ends, creating a strange 360-degree twilight show.

If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, today is the autumnal equinox and a Super Harvest Moon will cross the sky after almost 20 years since the last time it happened. When the Sun starts to set on the Western horizon, a full moon will rise opposite to it on the East, reflecting the light of our home star.

Being close to the horizon, the orange Moon will be gigantic thanks to a psychological effect called the Moon illusion. The sky will be illuminated by the Sun and the Moon at the same time, creating a weird 360-degree effect that is rarely seen.

Sometimes I wonder just how dense my brain really is - sheesh.
 

Here is the 360º view I saw this evening between 6:45pm and 7:15pm.



This is the West and a view of the clouds near the setting sun.



This is a view of the Northern sky. 


Here is the Eastern Sky and the moon has already traveled pretty high in the sky.  It was too cloudy and we never got to see that Super Harvest Moon.

I may have stuck out my bottom lip, stomped my foot in the sand and made a small whine sound.

I may not have done that.



You know I totally did!
and I think I stomped both feet.



This is the Southern view.

If you look at all of the photos it's a 360º view of twilight.  The Eastern skyline isn't dark at all and in fact, if you didn't know this was a sunset, it could look like a sunrise view.  This is what is called the double twilight.  It was soooo coool.

Even though we didn't get to see the Super Harvest Moon,  Tom and I actually made a point to hightail it out of the house on a moments notice and drive down to the beach to be a part of the event.  I read about the Super Harvest Moon at approx 5:50pm and I had chicken in the oven at the time.  Thankfully the chicken only needed about 15 more minutes, so we impatiently waited for the chicken to finish, hauled it out of the oven, put it in a dish and tossed it in the fridge. 

Tom and I really aren't the spontaneous type.

I should restate that -  we aren't very spontaneous after about 4pm!

Once we take off our shoes we're pretty much home bodies, so this was an unusual trip.

I'm so very happy that we went because it was magical.  We even saw someone on the beach that we knew! 


Have a great day! and welcome to Autumn
Kristin

6 comments:

Lydia said...

That image you caught with the waves, and the moon peaking behind the cloud is GORGEOUS!

We saw the moon through clouds at about the same height up in the sky tonight. It was cloudy for the big event. And it won't happen again until 2029, or so they said on the late news. No matter, I always love the Harvest Moon in September. It might not be on the exact day as the autumnal equinox but any Harvest Moon is much grander than all the other full moons the rest of the year (when you have a clear sky, that is)!

Thanks for this great post and Happy Autumn to you.

LAC said...

I had no idea that was a special thing yesterday. I have too many trees, and a nasty line of T storms came through about that time anyway. But that would have been so neat to see! Glad you were spontaneos!

Ann in the UP said...

Yeah, dang it. It was cloudy here too, and today it's going to pour all day, so we aren't seeing any sun-moon marvels.

I'm pouting and stomping right with you. That twilight would have been wonderful to see.

I agree, the pictures are great. I thing I can almost hear the waves.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I did not know that. I do love a full moon and the way it lights up our yard at night. Thank you for sharing that. Will you remind me when the next one comes :)

qandlequeen said...

Dammit, I read this a day too late. Boo! That would have been really cool to see, but your pictures are beautiful.

Keetha Broyles said...

Just plain WOW!