Saturday, September 18, 2010

Treasures

Here are all of the treasures I picked up while estate sale-ing this weekend. 


Several people have used the patterns inside in craft projects.  Of course I can't find a single one at the moment, but I did find some patterns.  I bought a few of them at 50¢ a piece just to see if I was actually going to use them. 


These little plates were from my friend Tim's sale.  I got 4 plates and they will be perfect for little treats, a small plate of pasta or a bagel and cream cheese.  I'm actually going to take these to Michigan and add them to my mom's collection, if she likes them, otherwise I'll keep them.



The People first decade ended in 1983 or 1984 - whatever it was, it was my formative years.  I graduated high school in 1984.  This book SCREAMED at me to get it.  The great thing is that it isn't musty!  So I brought it home.  The pie book looked like something fun to use in blog posts or to copy a recipe into a card for someone.  I thought it might be fun to use. 


Some snap shots of what's inside.


This photo I kept giant so you can click on it and read the fads.  I wonder what I've done with my mood ring?

Mine.
Mine.
Mine.

This was the treasure.  Strike that.  This IS the treasure. 

I have been looking for a large wooden salad bowl for a very long time and when I walked into the wooden bowl room in the giant house I tucked this under my arm as soon as I spied it.

There really was a little pantry type room that was full of wooden plates and platters and small bowls and this, giant wooden beautiful bowl.


After I tucked it under my arm I went out into the kitchen to examine the bowl.  It was a bit worn on the inside but no cracks or gouges and it seems to have been made from a single piece of wood.  A woman who saw me tuck the bowl under my arm (and who groaned when I did so) said that she thought that piece came from Africa.  After she said that, she told me that she had come back for the bowl.  I smiled and told her that I was very sorry for her loss.  :^)

I washed the bowl when I got home and then after it had dried completely, I bathed it in mineral oil. 

It's gorgeous and totally worth the $20 I paid for it.

Have a great day!
Kristin

4 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

You found some awesome things. That bowl is beautiful. Love that you got it over that woman :) It was meant to be!

Brandi. said...

I stopped by to say thank you for stopping by my blog!

I love that wooden bowl! I've been wanting one forever, too, but there aren't many decent estate, or even yard sales in this small town. It's beautiful, enjoy it. :)

LAC said...

Yay! Good things come to those who wait.

j said...

I would have bought the People book too.