Thursday, September 30, 2010

Vilano Beach revisited

I had to take a trip to Vilano Beach because of two comments that I received on my blog.  They came at nearly the same moment so I'm sure the anonymous comment was from the same individual.

I was there this past weekend and it was sad to see the area was lost and broken down. It was rather spookey that Haley's sign was on at night time but now that I have read your blog I find out why--I wish they would refurb the area and put it back to its family oriented state from the 40s & 50s.


Again just this past weekend I was in this area-stayed at the hampton in not knowing what Vilano beach was like or had been like..... this bldg is boarded up and roof is falling in. The beach is trashed. 


 I wrote on the two posts that I did on Vilano Beach (Haley's Court Motel and Vilano Beach Pavillion) that the little Florida hotels were in fine condition, cute and occupied.   I just couldn't believe that in a year the cute little village of Vilano Beach was trashed. 

I was so worried that I took a field trip the next day to see for myself.  Haley's Court Motel was as beautiful as ever, as I just knew it would be.  The Beach Pavillion was still lovely and the beach was not trashed at all.



There was one thing that was a shock and that was the Vilano Beach Motel.  This could be where the "roof is falling in" comment was directed.



This particular hotel was in a sad state of affairs.  It looked like there was a fire in the office and then the whole place was shut down.  This made me sad because it was occupied when I came here before, but it wasn't in the best of shape even then.



The last time I wrote about the Bluebird of Happiness I had only seen a photo on TV about it's updated appearance. I had heard it was going to be moved to a new location, but I guess that hasn't happened yet. 

I was so excited to see it all revitalized and without the protective chain link fence.  I was able to get right up close and personal.


I'm glad I took a run down here.  I did find something sad, but I also found the Blue Bird of Happiness and that made me very very happy.

Have a great day!
Kristin

4 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I remember your post on the Bluebird of Happiness, so glad you got to see it and take those great pictures.

Ann in the UP said...

I'm glad things weren't in quite the state you thought they might be. The Bluebird is quite a cheery touch!

I'll have to find a map and see where Verano Beach is, in relation to J-ville.

(What in the heck happened to September?)

denise said...

thanks for the follow-up. i'm glad the hotels are in fine condition and occupied...there is something idyllic about those places or maybe i'm just a sucker for that time period and the beach...plus the blue bird of happiness!

2Wired2Tired said...

That hotel does look neat and that's so odd that someone would post those things. A little roof damage doesn't call for comments like that. Strange.

I like the Bluebird of Happiness, very cute - made me smile!