Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thrifty decor

Leigh from Tales of Bloggeritville hosts Thrifty Thursday each week. We are on week 21!

She describes the event as "...a show and tell of sorts. It is time for you to showcase your thrifty find. It can be an old find or a new one. It might be something that you found at a thrift store, a consignment store, flea market, garage/yard sale, dumpster diving, even antique stores. If it was a thrifty find, then it meets the requirements. I am not picky, It can be a great pair of boots & a killer vintage dress, jewelry, home decor, even fishing lures. It is your thrifty find."




This week I found this little vintage find right in my kitchen. It's kitty string holder and it was my grandmother's. My Grandma Corlett's to be exact. My mother had it in her home for 10 years or so. This item has been on my list of things I'd like to have for quite some time, so a few years ago she packaged it up and mailed it off to me for my birthday or Christmas.

It was a great day indeed!

I think squealing was involved.



As I was taking photos of kitty, I realized how cool these photos would be all lined up in a row. I think I'd frame them in a natural wood frame or in a beigy colored frame to match the color on the top of kitty's head. Oooh, maybe even a cherry frame.




I found a Vintage Kitty Holder just like this one on eBay - HERE. It looks pristine and is listed at $38. My kitty was totally free :) but mine is also broken, the collar piece where the scissors are to hang, was broken off at one point and glued back on. I think it adds character to the piece.


What do you think? Do you think this would make a nice 4 piece framed collection? It might look real cute in a kids room. Maybe a sewing room or a laundry room.

I've seen all sorts of kitty string holders in antique stores, so if you like this thrifty find, I'm sure you can find a good deal out there. If you want one that's perfect, it may be a bit pricey compared to one that's been "aged" like mine.

Thanks so much for stopping by & be sure to check out all of the other participants in Thrifty Thursday.
Kristin

12 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Or a kitchen - - - they'd look cute in a kitchen too.

That is one adorable string holder. I've never seen a string holder of any kind, and now my FIRST peek at one is THIS marvelous kitty!!!

Unknown said...

What a cute string holder.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Really cute string holder! Love the colors of the kitty and yes those photos would look really good framed! Have a great day!

Sherrie
http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2009/06/thrifty-thursday.html

ellen b said...

I think this is the first time I'm hearing of a string holder. It sure is cute and I'm glad you got it :0)

Lorna ~ Lace and Ivy Cottage said...

I love your kitty string holder, character and all! Thanks for stopping by my blog, and about the IKEA outlet, it's more of a giant warehouse thrift shop run by Veterans. They get huge donations from IKEA, from furniture to accessories, all new, and sell it below wholesale. My cousins, who are new homeowners, have filled their homes with incredible IKEA deals. For example, one cousin bought a sectional with a removable cover for $200 and it's sold at the regular IKEA stores for $1200! So my modest plates at $2 is just a modest example!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I've never seen anything like this! How unique and cute! I love kitties. And doggies. My kitty cats just love string!
Brenda

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Love your find....I enjoyed reading your blog...The blog world is so new to me...Hope you will stop by for a visit. I am posting on our Disney trip now and then on to a new grandson in two weeks..

Mrs. Petrie said...

Ooh, I'd love to see this in a sewing/craft room. Very cute. :)

Christina said...

Adorable. Everything is more special when it comes from someone we love. I've also not heard of a string holder. Love it though---I'm learning something new every week with all of the thrifty finds.

Kristin - The Goat said...

Keetha - I think I really am going to make a little four piece or three piece set and frame them. I see a wall in my rental condo that needs some artwork, maybe I'll hang them there :)

Carrie - Thanks!

Sherrie - I'm going to frame them, I've decided :)

ellen - It's great to learn something new! Thanks for commenting.

Lorna - What a find in your town to have a thrift store with IKEA stuff - Thanks for all the info!! I'm totally jealous!!!

Brenda - They are so cute with the string hanging from their mouths -- both the ceramic kind and the real furry kind :)

Teresa - Thank you & I will. Congrats on the new grandson!

Mrs. Petrie - They would look good in a craft room!

Christina - You are right, I truly adore this string holder. Thanks for coming over!



I'm surprised how many of my comments say that you haven't heard of kitty string holders. I'm going to have to do a whole post on them. Guess I'll have to go to some antique stores and take some photos :)

Carrie said...

Your string holder is really special especiall for being from your grandma. The four photos would look great in any of the rooms you mentioned.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I have seen those! How cute! And you!