Saturday, December 04, 2010

Bicycle Parade

Unknown Mami


To see more great cities go on over to Sundays in my City.  This is what I did in my city, Jacksonville, FL yesterday.   Unknown Mami, our host for SIMC is the best!


I'm finding Christmas time in Florida to be a lot of fun. This is the first year that I've made an effort to go to the event that are happening around town and I'm finding that I have missed out on some events.

Today was the Beach Town Center Holiday Celebration. There was a bicycle parade, Santa, a little train for the kids, Mr and Mrs. Claus and of course, the lighting of the Christmas Tree. It was a kids event, as there was a ton of things just for them, but I had a great time.

Even the adults had fun, like the woman above who rode in the bicycle parade dressed up as a Christmas Tree. She won second place in her age group!

On the top of her head she had a hat with a springy thing with a star on top.  The middle was green tulle with ornaments, brown tights representing the trunk of the tree and I think the socks were supposed to be like the tree skirt.



These boys opted for the Jacksonville Jaguar Santa hat colors.  I can't remember what bikes they had but I think they also won a prize for best dressed bike.


This vehicle called for family member participation.  


Razor scooters were a popular entry in today's parade.


This was my favorite entry.  The sign said "Just Merried" and the dad was attaching these cool round coke bottles to the back of the kids bike.  hee hee


Rudolph even made an appearance.  Clever use of pine branches!



Here they come around the corner.  Grandma's scooter was entered.



This was a cute tricycle!



A dance troupe came in and did a couple of routines.  They were very good. 


But I think my very favorite part of the event was watching these two girls sitting in the bushes with their reindeer antlers on.  They played and played and the antlers just kept bobbing and dipping.  Too cute.

My photography assignment this week was to get some action shots.  I'm not sure if any of these are great compositionally, but I enjoyed taking them!  It's nice that the bicycle event came around when I needed action shots :)

Hope you're having a great weekend.
Kristin

13 comments:

Sandra said...

Christmas time looks wayyyy more fun in Florida than in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada!

Ann in the UP said...

What fun! this had me giggling the whole time. I agree with Sandra. What would Christmas be like in a place with balmy breezes and no snow? Will we ever know?

Sonya said...

Wooow!!! those are fantastic pics..such a sunny day too..it's grey and snowy over here :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That looks like it was a whole lot of fun. I saw those little coke bottles at Walmart this year. When we were in Chicago there was this bike thing that went on for the longest time. Not Christmas but definately costumes. I am glad you are pushing yourself to go to events like this. Your pictures are awesome.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. How fun is this! I have never seen a bicycle parade. I always wondered if it would be hard to adjust to Christmas somewhere warm. : )

Adoption of Jane said...

It looks like so much fun!! Don't you love living by the beach.. I dig it!!!

Joanna Jenkins said...

How fun is THAT!!!! IT looks like a great community gathering and a whole lot of Christmas spirit. Thanks for sharing.
Happy SIMC, jj

42N said...

No beach photos while snow is on the prairie ground but I'll accept this offering.

Betsy at Zen-Mama said...

Looks causul and like lots of fun!!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute!! By the end of the day I bet your cheeks hurt from smiling so much! Definately a cheery crowd.

Erin said...

That looks like SO much fun! I love the JAC Santa hats, even if they did beat my Titans this past Sunday!

Claudya Martinez said...

I love Rudolph! What a great way to decorate a bike.

BLOGitse said...

You do know how to party!
I wonder what kind of parties you would organize here in Helsinki - we have almost 19.6 inches snow!!!