Friday, December 17, 2010

Yummy cookies

Making cookies.  I have photos and goodies to share, but not quite yet.  The timer is going off and another batch needs to go in.

I'll update this post when I'm finished!

Kristin

I'm back!!

Well - this has been a very long day, but a great one.  The cold spell lifted for a few days.  Thursday was in the 50s and today, Friday was in the 70s!  I was absolutely joyful.  I opened up the patio door and baked all evening. 



Here's the first recipe.  It's called Layered Chocolate Butterscotch Bars.  It's also from my 1991 Land O Lakes Cookie book, but it's not on their website.  I think it's a pretty standard layered bar cookie that can be adapted to many flavors.

The cast of characters are above.  Nilla wafers, vanilla, butter, coconut, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, salted peanuts and sweetened condensed milk.



Top - L to R -- Crushed Nilla Wafers in a buttered and floured pan.  Coconut has been added.
Bottom - L to R -- The choc and butterscotch chips have been added as well as the sweetened condensed milk.  Fresh from the oven.  The finished dish.



The Lemon Snowbears - the good and the crumbled.  Looks like we have some to nibble on.  That crumbled pile isn't going to waste!


A new addition to my Christmas cookie making.   These are Swedish Coconut Cookies from the Land O Lakes cookie book.   These are on the website. YAY! 

However.

Something went wrong.  These cookies were flatter than a pancake and spread out so much that I could only put 6 cookies on a tray to bake.  It took forever to finish these.  Maybe my baking powder was flat or something.  The cookies are very good and my husband really wanted something with lots of coconut, so they are a hit in his eyes.   I had a very good success rate for these cookies, so that was good, too. 

I made some Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies that are really quite good.  I totally forgot to photograph them (I made them yesterday) and  I got the recipe from a friend on Facebook. 

I love Facebook  :^)


and lastly, here is a batch of Kookie Brittle.  It's standard at my house.  No cookie tray gets delivered without Kookie Brittle.   I had a nibble and it's great, as usual :)


I just noticed that there is almost no color in any of the cookies.  Oh dear.  I wonder what I'm going to do about that?

Hmmmm, that's going to be a puzzler.

Well, I'll work on that tomorrow!

For now, I hope that you enjoyed the marathon cookie making post.  The recipe for the layer bars is below.

Have a great weekend!
Kristin


2 1/2 cups - crushed vanilla wafers (the whole 12 oz box)
1/4 cup Butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch flavored chips
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup salted peanuts

Heat oven to 350°.
In medium bowl stir together vanilla wafers, melted butter and vanilla.
Press on bottom of greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan.
Sprinkle with coconut, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
Pour condensed milk all over the top; sprinkle with peanuts.
Bake for 20 to 27 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
Cool completely; cut into bars.
Cover; store refrigerated.

3 comments:

Marla said...

Everything looks delicious. Tomorrow is our marathon baking day. I just might try a few of your recipes. Thanks!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thanks for the recipe. Wow you really got your bake on! I will be doing that next week. I made your Kookie brittle last year and loved it. I have to remember to make the snowbears, I love lemon.
I love the extras leftover when cutting bars up. My daughter baked for a party last weekend and I told her that I sometimes cut a thin layer around the outside of the bars because sometimes the ends get crunchy. She did that but threw away the ends. Those are my favorites!!! I guess I forgot to tell her that.

KandeeInNY said...

Oh gosh.. I think I just gained 30 pounds looking at your goodies...
Came here via Mrs444 - a mutual friend