Sunday, July 05, 2009

Road trip food


When preparing to drive 1200+ miles over a few days, it's important to make sure to take along some sandwiches. It's also important to get all the food out of the house that the person staying behind isn't going to eat. No sense wasting it! and no sense buying over priced and not nearly delicious as a sandwich made at home.

The banana in the photo above never made it on the road trip, but it did make it to the garbage can. It was even too ripe for Tom.

I have always liked the assembly line process of sandwich making. It's so organized! and so pretty.

I wrapped all the sandwiches in parchment, so that Tom could have a placemat of sorts when he's eating in the car. We then put all of the sandwiches in a large ziplock, just in case they fell into the ice water in the cooler. No need for a soggy sandwich when so much effort was put into making them.

One of my kid memories involves sandwiches, a car trip (actually it was a van) and eating at the picnic table in a rest area. My mother had made us these sandwiches on hoagy rolls and on our trip from Michigan to Nebraska we stopped to eat lunch. I thought they were the best sandwiches I'd ever had in my life and since, come to think of it.

I always think of those wonderful sandwiches when ever I see the sanwich assembly line.

Yum.
Kristin

10 comments:

jb said...

I have a sammy production line going every morning in our household (during the week. You're on your own on the weekends these days!)...come on over anytime, and I will add you to the lunch bucket brigade! I offer daily several cold cuts and cheeses, as well as both kinds of peanut butter (one child likes chunkey, one only eats creamy) and sometimes leftover pizza or pasta! Granola bars, crackers, fruit chewy things, anything you might wish to snack on!

Keetha Broyles said...

Remember from Ollie Hopnoodle:

"But I don't WANT salmon surprise, (insert whiny voice here) I want peanut butter and jelly!!!"

Tricia said...

The sandwiches look yummy! More importantly though, nothing beats a good road trip. I hope you have a wonderful trip, and lots of great sandwich related memories.
*Tricia

Anonymous said...

Well now you've gone and made me hungry! Just wanted to say hi and thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope you have a great week.

Jientje said...

You're very well organized,and the sandwitches look delicious. We do the same thing when we leave for France, I empty the fridge make sandwiches, and boil the rest of the eggs in the fridge to eat when we're on the road. No sense in wasting good food, you're right about that one!

Jientje said...

**Sandwiches

Sorry!

Sharinskishe said...

I am soon to be on my way to pick up Hubby from work. He has been gone for 3 days- hence the early hour.

I didn't make Hubby sandwiches, but we did fill a cooler so he could make his own. Maybe next time, I should surprise him with at least one homemade- premade by me- sandwich. Thanks for being a great example of service.

I was thinking- why did she throw the banana away instead of making banana bread? and I know why I would have done it. (I probably would have tossed it in the freezer.)

I was thinking, banana bread, a whole loaf, me at home by myself, yum, yum, gulp, yum, yum- "DID I EAT THE WHOLE THING?"  "Yep," looking at my hips, "that is where it went," big sigh....

Have a great day!!!

Shari

j said...

Wrapping the sandwich in parchment is such a thoughtful extra step. I am going to remember that.

We are heading back down to the beach a few times this week. Sandwiches will be in order :)

Mrs4444 said...

I love the parchment paper idea. Good one!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

smile. really, made me smile. and the parchment, it just makes you want to eat whats inside.