Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Thrifty food and bowls

This Thrifty Thursday (late Wednesday) post is all about going to local events, free events and finding great deals. On this little adventure I spent $40 and got fresh veggies for a week or two, a few pieces of pottery and lunch at the art fair.

Come with me - let me show you my thrifty and beautiful finds. For more Thrifty Thursday participants, please head on over to Leigh's place - Tales from Bloggeritaville.

I went back to the Riverside Arts Market on Saturday. Two weeks in a row! (I blogged about it last time - here) I thought that since it was the 4th of July it might be festive and possibly even more crowded. Turns out it was not crowded, but it was festive! I really enjoyed it. I bought some British pies (Chicken and mushroom, steak and something lol, pulled pork and a ham and gruyere) that so far have been real good! They are personal sized and perfect for this week when I'm home alone making dinner for one.

I just love to take pictures of the vegetable tables. The fresh veggies are so beautiful and the way everyone displays them...it's all so symmetrical.

There was such a nice cool breeze blowing off of the water this day and the smell of the ripe tomatoes was so delightful. I always say that the only tomato I'll eat is one that is warm off the vine.

I brought my little rolling crate with me this week so I was able to bring home a lot of veggies for $10.

Cha-ching! Thrifty!

These eggplants are so gorgeous! Just look at the color. I even like the dirt!

The market is not only food, it's an arts market as well. I saw this booth last week when Tom and I went, but he was cruising through the market and I wasn't able to stop and browse like I wanted, so I passed by. This week, I was alone and I browsed. I also purchased! The bowls were $5 a piece. That's Thrifty!!! They are perfectly sized for small bowl of cereal, a very generous portion of tomato wedges and cottage cheese, and as a serving bowl for salsa. Two of the bowls I purchased will be gifts. That's why I'm not tellin' or showin' which bowls I purchased! sneaky sneaky!

Have I ever showed off my dish cupboard? It's full of pottery bowls. It's what I use most of the time. hmmm, I don't think I have. Well, I'll save that for another day since I'm terribly late for my Wednesday post.

I have to say a BIG Ya-hoo! Leigh had a Marshall's Gift Certificate giveaway in honor of her 20th year of blogging. Well, it seems like I've know her for a few decades lol Her 2nd year of blogging! and I won the gift certificate!! $25 to my new favorite place to shop. I talked about my very first Marshalls experience last week - Here. Thank You Thank You Thank You!!! I can't wait to find some more thrifty finds.

Have a great day!
Kristin

12 comments:

Carrie said...

Thanks for takin us along on your shopping spree...the vegetables look delectable, and the ceramic bowls are a wonderful find!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

It DOEs seem like 20 years and I just adore you all the same-even more as I get to "know" you, sweet friend! Congrats on the card! I will get it in the mail to you, along with a few other surprises that I picked up with you in mind, because you are just so kind a person.
Now onto the thrift, I so enjoyed that tour of the market! What great phtoos. I can see you are having great fun with your new camera! My favorite photos are the tomatoes and the clown (an action shot). GREAT ones. You should blow the tomatoes up really huge (print) and put it in your kitchen or dining area. And the clown would be nice in one of your rental units. Who couldnt smile, and the colors, fun and festive, as you said.
The pottery!! Are.You.Kidding.Me!!!!! Those bowls are gorgeous! I would;ve thought about 25-40 bucks. The turquoise one is stunning, like actual turquoise from Arizona! Wow!
I sooooo enjoyed this post! Sweet deals! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday in Bloggeritaville

Leigh
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Opps, he isnt a clown but a man making balloons. I was looking more closely at the man. But the tomatoes enlarge!
And still great composision of action in the animal balloon shot.

Dawn said...

I'm glad you got to check out the market at a slower speed this time! Men don't browse. LOL!

I've never seen everything set out in containers like that at our local markets. It's all just piled in a box.
Dawn

Unknown said...

I love the pics of the farmer's market - gives me an idea - thanks!

Tricia said...

What a great place! I love open air markets. I don't get to as many as I would like, but now I feel motivated.
BTW, I saw that you won that $25 give a way over at Leigh's when I was there yesterday. Lucky you!
Hey, maybe you'll even get it in a reasonable amt. of time. ;)
Tee hee. I suck.
*tricia

Genny said...

That tomato table is amazing! They look delicious!

Anonymous said...

mmmm. Those tomatoes look good. I can almost smell/taste them. Chilled, sliced, with a little salt. Summer!

I love Marshalls too, there's just not one near me. I've got T.J. Max and Ross.

Love the photos!

Sarah said...

Those veggies look fabulous!!! :D

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

Those eggplant looks amazing! Much better than the last one I bought at the grocery story - mushy :(

Keetha Broyles said...

The balloon man is great.

I too LOVE the photos of the bright, colorful veggies.

Which reminds me, I saw a sign that said vegies for sale. We wondered what a vee-gee was.

The bowls are gorgeous too.

Christina said...

Congrats on winning the GC!! What fun.

All those veggies look mouthwatering.

Great bowls. Tomato wedge and cottage cheese. yum! I also love CC with cucumbers.