Monday, July 13, 2009

WTJ goes postal.


I just had THE most delightful conversation with the postal man behind the counter at my post office. I handed him my journal, addressed, taped and ready to make it's journal from the Southern United States all the way up to the Great Lakes.

He, postal employee, picked up the journal and looked at the ends, which were not taped -- they were hoping for a little wear and tear on their travels - and he voiced his concern over it's safety. I told him that the book was called "Wreck This Journal" and that it could handle some wear and tear...but if he insisted, I had some tape in my purse and I could tape it some more.

He asked if I needed it sent next day? He assured me that it would get the best treatment going Next Day Air. I told him that I'd prefer just First Class. I told him that I'd send it book rate, but I needed it to arrive in a week.

He put WTJ on the postal scale and he let out this giant sigh - "It's too heavy to go first class, it'll need to go Priority. Here fill out this address label," as he slid a label and a pen at me, "and I'll get a nice envelope to put the book into."

I said, "We'll just send it this way. No need for an envelope. The book is up for a little adventure."

He said, "But I have to put a sticker or two on it."

I said, "Great! The more the merrier!"

He sighed and asked me to place the Priority Mail stickers on WTJ. I did, one on each side. Then he printed off a metered stamp, which bummed me out because I forgot to tell him I wanted regular stamps. shoot. The funny thing though, he did not ask if I had anything fragile, liquid or perishable in my book. I would have said no, but I would have had to think about it a second!

Journal baby is now in the hands of the United States Postal Service.

It's making it's way to Michigan, to my Mother's home, where I will be arriving in two days. I thought this was a very interesting way to mail it to myself, mailing it from my home and sending it to where I will be traveling! It's about 1200 miles door to door. Quite a journey for such a young book.

Exciting stuff, huh? I bet you're on the edge of your seat wondering how this will turn out! I'll let you know when it arrives and I'll take lots of photos.

Have a great week!
Kristin


Edited 7/17/2009 (Friday) - The journal arrived in my mother's mailbox, safe and sound, yesterday. It might have even been cleaner than when it left! There wasn't a scratch on it. My niece and I are going to be doing quite a bit of wrecking this week, so I'll be taking lots of photos of that.

I'm a part of Jamie's Next Chapter group and I encourage you to see all of the fabulous journal wrecking going on over there. Thanks for stopping by, it's great having you.

21 comments:

Donica Christina said...

So Adventurous!

Keetha Broyles said...

It IS exciting.

Hmmmmm - - - would it be simpler to mail yourself than to drive???? JUST KIDDING.

Oh, and touche about the undersides comment for Boris and Brunhilda - - - that was a good 'un

Anonymous said...

How fun - happy travels to your WTJ and to you!!

WrightStuff said...

Ha - love the story with the post guy - he probably shared that with his colleagues over coffee break!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! You are so much fun! Of course, the mail carrier seemed to be confused by such fun. But you know he was telling somebody about it later!

Kristin - The Goat said...

Keetha - this time I'm not driving. It's AirTran all the way.

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to see the journal when it arrives.

Lisa said...

I laughed thinking of your arrival at your mom's house ... her coming out to greet you and you pushing her (gently) aside saying "not now mom, I gotta go get my journal, where is it, where is it?!"

Have a happy reunion with the journal. and oh yeah, with your mom too!

magpie said...

happy for the safe arrival of the wreck. letting go is so hard, reunion so sweet.

Lawendula said...

Wow!
I like the expression safe and sound.
It's so wonderful. Listening to sounds can make you sound. Yes!
Happy wrecking!

l said...

ohhh the mailing part...i haven't done that yet! glad yours went smoothly!

judipatootie said...

wonderful.. the conversation with the postal worker.. I live in a small town, thay all already know I am weird.. i draw all over my packages and send thing in weird shape..

great wrecking, enjoy your visit

Jamie Ridler said...

That's hilarious!! I bet the postal worker has never had an experience like that before! And who would have thought it would arrive without damage - dang!I'm sure you'll take care of that pronto :)

Hybrid J said...

What an adventure!! Well Done! :)

Genie Sea said...

What a fun journey and a hilarious recounting of it's departure! :)

The Other Laura said...

I love your patient explanations to the postal guy! Great wrecking.

Kim said...

I wish I could have been there as you patiently assured the postal worker that you WANTED your book damaged! Hee hee! Happy reunion to you and journal!!

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

The postal officer takes his job seriousla. :) Hope the journal gets to the end of the road.

Terri said...

very cool.

Annette Q said...

What a lovely story. I'm sure you and your niece will make up for the unwreckedness of your journal during its postal adventure!! Happy wrecking!! :-)

Sharon said...

The trick is finding just the right post office to go along with mailing the 'weird' stuff. Have fun with the wrecking while visiting your mom!

Sherri said...

What a great idea to mail it to yourself where you will be traveling! Glad the book made it safe and sound. Happy wrecking!