Monday, July 19, 2010

The ice cream pirate

What do a brick and a pirate have in common?


They are both located in Avondale!

Well that wasn't too terribly exciting, but I was having trouble with an intro to this post.

Forgive me :)

Please.

After my walking tour where I went through the Avondale neighborhood and took pictures (blog post - Pretty Pictures) I stopped at the Brick Restaurant.

Yummy food.

Great atmosphere.

Awesome brunch on the weekends.


I really like this restaurant but on this day, it was a godsend.

I was so hot, so tired from my long walk and I was pretty far away from my car and shhhh...I really needed to use the bathroom :)  I took a seat at the bar and cooled off by ordering a soda and a water.  I think I stayed for nearly a half hour. The sun and Florida heat can really wear me out.




The week before I actually ate lunch at the Brick, not just a glass of water!  I met up with Dysfunctional Mom from "Putting the Fun in DysFUNctional."  She and her husband were in town for a softball tournament that her daughter was participating in, so they had the opportunity to meet me!  I was so excited to have someone come through Jacksonville!

She was such a lovely person.

I didn't mention her trip earlier because sometimes bloggers like to keep their whereabouts secret and I forgot to ask her if this was the case - so I waited until she got home - just in case.  Then I waited a few more days because I kept forgetting.

Yep, that's me.  A really great blogging friend.  I can't even remember to blog about meeting a new friend.



Back to this weekend...

After cooling off at The Brick, I walked over to the ice cream shop :)


OK, so actually I was on my way to my car when I passed right by the Florida Creamery.  (They can be found on Facebook, here.)

I peeked into the window and saw this giant pirate!



I couldn't resist going in.  This was just too much of a photo op to NOT go in and see it.



The old Florida postcards were a hoot, too.  They were enlarged and became the artwork. 


I sat next to this gal.

I don't think she ever intended on going into the water.  Her hair was perfect with her pink headband and the swimsuit had a belt.  She was too perfect to be jumping in the waves any time soon.

The postcard is correct, it is Sunny Scenic Florida.

Can you imagine being this diver?

Oh my goodness I get claustrophobic just thinking about it and I'm not claustrophobic!



This pirate was a hoot though.  I wonder why this larger than life design was made.  The gal in the ice cream shop didn't know.


If you're ever in Avondale, stop by these two places.  They'd love to have ya!

The Florida Creamery 3566 St. Johns Ave. Jacksonville, FL 32205

The Brick 3585 Saint Johns Avenue Jacksonville, FL 32205-8445


Have a great week!
Kristin

7 comments:

Cyndy Bush said...

=)
Thank you for your kind words.
We saw that ice cream shop while we were walking around but we were still too full for dessert!

Ann in the UP said...

Your food posts are making my morning "fast before blood draw" difficult.

Mmmm, ice cream: mmmmm, cupcakes: mmmmm, watermelon.

I'll read everything again later and join you for a snack.

qandlequeen said...

Totally jealous about meeting a blogging friend! The two of you are so cute!

LAC said...

Ok. I think I am brain dead? When did you change your template. I love it. Have I mentioned it before? I can't remember.

Great post, I saw Dysfuncional Mom's post on FF with your pretty face in it! So I knew she was lucky enough to meet you already.

So much fun meeting blogging buddies. I've done it twice, once by accident. I was spotted by a blogger while I was visiting the Philadelphia flower show. And the other quite on purpose I met Miss Linda from Are We there Yet? and her Daughter when they were passing through on their way home from Gettysburg.

I am hoping to get a few more visits in with anyone in the area of Pigeon Forge in September!

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I love the kitchy retro postcards as art. I have several I planned to frame and hang in my bathroom.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like you had a great time in that town. So awesome that you meet Dysfunctional Mom. I love her blog.

Anonymous said...

I love fun ice cream stores and this one is yellow. Do they make their ice cream homemade?