Saturday, July 10, 2010

Mums the word

I've had to keep a secret.

I don't know if I'm actually a secret teller, but I do know that it just kills me to have to keep a secret and on Thursday night I stumbled onto something that required me to keep a secret

I went to my dinner with my transplant support group friends at a place called Mimi's.  We were meeting there at 6pm and I walked in right about that time.  One of the group members walked me to the table and as I was about ready to sit down, I hear "Hi Kristin!"  There, at the table right next to ours was my friend Lori.  I hugged her and said hello and something else I'm sure, and then I looked up to see the rest of the people sitting at her table when I see Aunt Jean!  (shown in the photo above)

I yelled out (I'm afraid I did not use my inside voice)  Aunt Jean!! and in order to get to her I had make a little lap around the dining room because our tables were too close together.  I was absoluetly thrilled to see her.  

You see, she lives in Ohio.  She came on our Rome trip and when I met her in Philadelphia for our flight to Rome, I instantly loved her.  She's Lori's Aunt Jean but she was "our" Aunt Jean the whole trip.  We all said "Hi Aunt Jean!" probably more times than she cared to hear and when Lori started saying "I love you, Aunt Jean,"  well, I started saying it too. 

These days, when Lori calls me on the phone she says "Hi Aunt Jean" to me and I say it to her.  It's become jokey and fun and keeps Aunt Jean in our hearts.   (although I have to admit I just typed out hearse!  Oh my goodness what a hoot.  ...keeps Aunt Jean in our hearse... I can hardly type I'm laughing so hard!)

OK - so back the story!

Because I was such an Aunt Jean fan, Lori and Jean were anticipating my reaction at the Rome party when Aunt Jean comes walking in - I was sure to cause a scene and become far too excited!  Well it all happened just a few days early when I stumbled upon them at the restaurant.  Of all people to run into, I run into them. 

I love it.

I hung out with my Rome group tonight and saw some awesome photos from the other members of our group, we ate some delicious food that our host, Ann, made for us.  Goodness it was delicious.  It was called the Taste of Italy Dinner - spaghetti, meatballs, homemade sauce, salad and bruschetta.  Two other girls made up the dessert that was similar to the one we loved so much in Rome.  The rest of the evening was spent by seeing the wonderful photos that everyone brought, laughing at the fun times we had and telling stories. 

Aunt Jean doesn't leave until Monday so I've invited myself over to Lori's Sunday afternoon.  :)

What a great surprise.  I'm so happy that I didn't have to keep that secret for more than two days because I nearly burst from excitement.

I love you Aunt Jean!  Thanks for coming to Florida to the reunion dinner.  What a treat to have you here.

Have a great day!
Kristin

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

too funny you screamed in the restaurant - I can just visualize you and the sound perfectly .. well it's sunday morning so have a great time at Lori's this afternoon!!

Ruth Ann said...

That's a funny story! I can picturing you screaming in the restaurant too! lol Glad you had such a great reunion! That food sounds sooo yummy! Have a great time at Lori's today!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is exciting, I'm so happy for you :o

Mrs4444 said...

Don't you just love it when you connect with someone right away like that? Glad you got to see her again :)

Smellyann said...

What a great story! I'm glad you has such fun! :)

aka Smellyann

Aunt Jean's Lori said...

I love Aunt Jean & Kristin Corlett!!! Xoxoxo