Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Louis Sullivan Documentary

On Saturday afternoon I did something pretty unusual.  I went to the movies, which is pretty rare, but I went to a documentary.  Very rare indeed!

Here I am at the 5 Points Theater.  It's an old theater which can be a lot of fun or it can be just awful.  Well, in this case it was a very nice old theater. 

The seating was odd though.  They were literally chairs with little end tables every so often.  It was quirky but fun.    I did need to make sure that I didn't sit behind anyone that was too tall.  Thankfully I could see just fine.


The documentary that I saw was called "Louis Sullivan - The Struggle for American Architecture."  I went to the 2pm showing.

This was only the fifth showing of the film.

I can't imagine why it's only been shown five times.

I loved it.



This is the Director, Mark Richard Smith.  He was the Researcher, Writer, Director and Narrator.  He was probably chief bottle washer, too :)

I'm not going to talk about the movie at the moment, but I will tell you that I enjoyed it so much that I took notes.  Seriously.  I took notes. 

I have quite a bit of research to do justice to the movie and to Louis Sullivan, that I need a few days - so this is just a teaser. 

If you can't wait for my more indepth post, which could be a week or more away, you are more than welcome to go to the website Louis Sullivan film.  You can preorder the DVD which is coming out in November.  I will be preording.

Have a great day!
Kristin

3 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

How interesting. My sister-in-law, who is a spec writer in an architectural firm has raised my awareness of American architecture. We really appreciate wonderful old buildings when we travel, and take photos---but can never remember where they were, of course.

Looking forward to the next installment of the Sullivan Saga.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Looking forward to your post. The link is taking a long time to load but I am going to look at it. I bet it was interesting. I meant to tell you that while I was in Florida I saw one of those Aha Moments on TV!

Anonymous said...

How interesting. I like to watch documentaries and do so often. Its fun when someone from the movie is there to answer questions afterwards also. I am looking forward to an in-depth post. I'm so curious since it fascinated you so much.