Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Louis Sullivan Documentary

On Saturday afternoon I did something pretty unusual.  I went to the movies, which is pretty rare, but I went to a documentary.  Very rare indeed!

Here I am at the 5 Points Theater.  It's an old theater which can be a lot of fun or it can be just awful.  Well, in this case it was a very nice old theater. 

The seating was odd though.  They were literally chairs with little end tables every so often.  It was quirky but fun.    I did need to make sure that I didn't sit behind anyone that was too tall.  Thankfully I could see just fine.


The documentary that I saw was called "Louis Sullivan - The Struggle for American Architecture."  I went to the 2pm showing.

This was only the fifth showing of the film.

I can't imagine why it's only been shown five times.

I loved it.



This is the Director, Mark Richard Smith.  He was the Researcher, Writer, Director and Narrator.  He was probably chief bottle washer, too :)

I'm not going to talk about the movie at the moment, but I will tell you that I enjoyed it so much that I took notes.  Seriously.  I took notes. 

I have quite a bit of research to do justice to the movie and to Louis Sullivan, that I need a few days - so this is just a teaser. 

If you can't wait for my more indepth post, which could be a week or more away, you are more than welcome to go to the website Louis Sullivan film.  You can preorder the DVD which is coming out in November.  I will be preording.

Have a great day!
Kristin

3 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

How interesting. My sister-in-law, who is a spec writer in an architectural firm has raised my awareness of American architecture. We really appreciate wonderful old buildings when we travel, and take photos---but can never remember where they were, of course.

Looking forward to the next installment of the Sullivan Saga.

Just Breathe said...

Looking forward to your post. The link is taking a long time to load but I am going to look at it. I bet it was interesting. I meant to tell you that while I was in Florida I saw one of those Aha Moments on TV!

Loria said...

How interesting. I like to watch documentaries and do so often. Its fun when someone from the movie is there to answer questions afterwards also. I am looking forward to an in-depth post. I'm so curious since it fascinated you so much.