Monday, July 19, 2010

The Silver Platters


I was hunting around in my cupboards a few days ago when I came across this metal serving tray.  I use this tray once a year or so, but poor thing, it always gets covered up because of all of those scratches.

This tray has been used, abused, used some more and who knows how many decades later, it is still helping to serve food to friends and family.





The back of the tray has got to be one of my favorite things ever.

It's a little strip of bandage tape that people used to use all the time to mark their serving pieces, with my grandmother's name on it.

Mildred Corlett

Every time I see the bandage tape on pieces I cringe just a little bit.  That tape did its job, that's for sure.  Did you ever get this tape on your skin?  It took everything with it when you tried to peel it off - Yoweee!

But it made for the perfect thing to mark a platter.  It never came off of that either!





I've never been able to figure out what the design was around the edge of the platter.  Is it an apple? a green pepper (silver in this case!) or just some abstract form?  Feel free to give your suggestions, I'd love to hear them.


Speaking of the Silver Platters...I had to include this video :)




I hope you have a wonderful week!
Kristin

6 comments:

Ruth Ann said...

HAHAHA! The Brady Bunch! I LOVED them when I was growing up! As a matter of fact that is how my parent's explained time to me when I was a little girl. I'd say how much longer until we make it to our destination on car trips. They'd say something like 4 more Brady Bunch shows to go! lmao It worked though!

To me it looks like a sliced green pepper on the platter. But I couldn't clearly make out what it was. It's funny that you posted this, because I found one at a thrift store that is in my kitchen right now waiting to be made into a chalkboard! I'll post about that when I get it finished! Have a great night!

Ruth Ann said...

Oooh and it just hit me...they called themselves the "Silver Platters" because that's what they wanted to buy their parents as an Anniversary gift but needed the money to get all the names engraved! lol

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Beautiful. And I too love her little nameplate on there! Precious!
We both have silver on our minds. Again-great minds! Hoping to get back into the swing. The kids go back to school in 3 weeks. Then maybe...life will return to we like to refer to as normal.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

How awesome that you have her platter. I always loved when the Brady Bunch sang.

j said...

Now THAT is truly a treasure. Love the label with your grandmother's name. I wonder what she carried on the platter and where she carried it?

Anonymous said...

too funny .. the silver platters .. i remember that episode.