Friday, July 16, 2010

Vinton, Iowa


Vintage postcard source


Last week I stopped into an antique shop.

I don't normally shop but I was drawn into this store and just couldn't help myself.

There are a few things on my "watch list" and I happened to find two recipe boxes that were full - a definite YES on my watch list.

The woman who collected these recipes would write down a recipe on about anything!

I found slips of paper, pieces of magazine and amazingly enough even a Christmas card.

It's stuff like that makes old recipe boxes so much fun to discover.

Now this is just a guess, but I'm betting that the owner of this recipe box spent a lot of time in Vinton, Iowa. 


These three recipes are part of the State Bank of Vinton collection.

We have Christmas Cookies, Marg's Rocks and the all important 1 2 3 for Beets. 




I just think it's awfully strange that a cookie is called Rocks.   I guess they must be pretty good or else my unknown Vinton Iowa recipe keeper wouldn't have asked for and kept the recipe. 



My very favorite part of this recipe collection is that it wasn't too musty.

That's the biggest problem I have with finding vintage paper - it tends to makes me sneeze, gives me a headache,  and after I ooh and ahhh for a few minutes I pretty much have to seal it up in a ziploc bag and never go near it again.

These recipes were quite different.   I've actually gone through them several times and I think I'm going to find a few recipes that will be keepers!

I think I'm going to make Rocks.  Maybe even this weekend?  hmmmm, maybe.

This closes the State Bank of Vinton recipe collection.  Hope you enjoyed it!

Have a wonderful weekend,
Kristin






4 comments:

Ann in the UP said...

My mom used to make Rocks and I'd forgotten all about them! They were okay, but they weren't chocolate chip cookies.

My Kris sent me a Mothers Day card once that praised me as a mom because "you never put raisins where the chocolate chips should be".
The card said that----not the kid.

Kristin - The Goat said...

Ann in the UP - Ahh, I see the raisins now and cloves. I don't think I'd like Rocks. Since my photo of the day for Saturday is Christmasy, maybe I'll make the christmas cookies!

I'm a big fan of chocolate chips, too :)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Those are awesome. I have to give them a try. You find the most interesting things.

Anonymous said...

I have a whole box of old postcards .. some date back to early 1900's???? anyway, maybe 1920's .. I think I need to pull them out again so I am knowledgeable on how old they are. I think it would be fun to make old recipes .. you should make the rocks anyway.