Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Row of Columns

The last time I talked about Rome I talked the Dancers that showed up in St. Peter's Square.  Well after they left, I wanted to find something else exciting. 


All of a sudden Lori said, I think I see some Nuns by the base of the Obelisk.  So I zoomed in with my camera trying to see where they were going and if I could see them once they stopped.


The zoom wasn't getting me close enough, so I started walking toward the crowd.


And then I found them.  They were looking at a picture on someone's cell phone and talking about it.  I wasn't close enough to hear the conversation, but it was a lot of fun to see them in the crowd and talking with many of the people and praying with them.




The colonnades are four columns deep and make up the arms of St. Peter's Square, literally embracing all who enter. Notice how you can see all the columns - the fourth row is harder to see, but if you click to enlarge the photo, you might see the fourth row in a couple of them.


However, if you stand on this spot, all of the columns line up and they look like one row.



Isn't that great?!!  You can click on the photo to enlarge to see a bigger view.  The columns are just perfectly centered behind the one in front.  Oh, have I mentioned that these "arms" make a big circle!  The engineering is truly spectacular.  There is a really great overview photo here, on Wikipedia.

This isn't even the end of Day Two!  I promise, someday I'll finish my photographic journey of Rome. 

Thanks for joining me.
Kristin

2 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

They are awesome. What a great picture you took. I would love to know what the Nuns were talking about.

Anonymous said...

Love it .. how do you know so much about the photos you take? I enjoy your history comments too.