Monday, April 05, 2010

St. Peter's Basilica

I've spent many a day and night editing my Rome photos, but I'm only up to day two.  I'm a real novice when it comes to using Photoshop, but I'm not sure that's why I'm so darned slow.  Well I edited about 50 of them last night, so I think it's time to talk a little more about Rome.

I swear I still dream about it. 



This tea room was on our walk from the apartment to the taxi stands.  I got such a kick out of the guy standing on the stool.  I'm not sure what it's suppose to mean, but it sure is unusual.



Day Two of our Rome adventure was Mass at St. Peter's.  This is where the taxis dropped us off, so it was a real nice view of the grounds.  I was really wishing I had a wider lens, so I could get the entire view, but as it is here, it's pretty impressive.

I've seen the photos of the buildings, I've studied the statues and I've learned all of the names, but it's all so very very real and so much more impressive in person.  I wish the camera could capture the beats of my heart.  Thud. Thud.  I was so excited. 



This was something that I didn't know a thing about - the Swiss Guards and their traditional dress.  It really reminded me of a very colorful fish.  I know, how funny, but that was my initial thought. 

Lori, who was our friend and guide and who'd been to Rome a dozen times before, wanted to go into the Basilica and watch our faces as we saw the inside of St. Peter's.  I wasn't exactly sure why, but we indulged her and let her go in and wait for us to come through the doors.



Well, I think it took me 10 minutes to recover from my burst of tears and mini sobs.  It was truly overwhelming.   I can just imagine how I might have felt had I been Catholic.  Actually, I was an art history major in college, so I have been immersed in this before, but wow.  I was truly overwhelmed.

It took me 15 - 20 minutes to get my wits about me so that I could take photos of what I was seeing. 


St. Peter's was filled with cherubs. Everywhere I looked there was another adorable cherub.



I had actually forgotten that the Michelangelo sculpture of the Pieta was in St. Peter's.  I'm glad that I had recovered from my initial shock because I went through another one when I saw this.  An interesting tidbit is that this is the only sculpture that Michelangelo signed, according to Wikipedia.


St. Peters Basilica has a little of everything - mosaics, sculpture, paintings, gold, columns, etc.  Each turn made me gasp.  Did someone really make this?  Wow.


What an interesting and strange piece this gold sculpture was in person.  To me, it was almost out of place in the entire Basilica.  I think because it was the only piece that was completely covered in gold.    The Dove of the Holy Spirit in the center of this piece was truly spectacular, though.  You can click on the photo to get a much larger view.  I think I left it in it's giant size.


After Mass inside of St. Peter's we went outside to receive the Papal Blessing.  It was so very interesting to see the building without any adornment, then all of a sudden the banner appeared and soon after Pope Benedict was in the window. 

This was only the beginning of day two, so I'll continue to edit and post about my trip to Rome. 

Thanks for stopping by, it's been a pleasure.
Kristin

5 comments:

LAC said...

Awe inspiring.

What is your PS workflow like? I found that I was really slow because I was doing one picture at at a time. With PSE7, I can open in batches and make the same adjustments if I wanted to a group of pics at one time, then tweak each one individually later. I think it only works in RAW though.

j said...

The photo of the cherub just takes my breath away. I can imagine how seeing so much with that type of detail could emotionally overwhelm you. Michaelanglo's sculpture was... gosh Kristin, there are no words. Stunning doesn't quite get it.

And I'm glad you still dream about Rome.

Gal Pal said...

Ok so no wide lens. Start taking one pic at a time and rotate yourself a lil bite and take another section. Okay so it will be in sections but in PS you can put em together and get your "feel" of the wide angle. I would love to see that.

Some really nice shots here girlfriend. Thanks for the tour during my lunch break!

Anonymous said...

stunning and breathtaking and I'm just viewing through your photos. I can't imagine seeing it in person. we (my family) all have Pietas .. i'm staring at my small one right now LOL.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love these pictures. You captured everything perfectly.
Thank you so much. I really want to go on a trip. I love seeing this through your eyes.